I bought new boat this year and it came with downriggers. I have never used downriggers before, and I was

looking for some tips and techniques on how to use them. I will be fishing mostly out of bowmanville.

I would also like some help on types of lures, colours and if I should be using flashers and fllies.

Any help is appreciated

It's been a while since I've used Cannon Manual downriggers but if I remember correctly,there is a clutch/ brake system on the handle. When you want to let the weight down, slowly (until you get used to it) turn the handle backwards and the clutch will let the weight down. One word of advise, when you get the weight to your desired depth, take one hand and hold the spool tight and give the handle a little extra crank to make sure the clutch doesn't let any extra cable out.

I should also have asked you what you want to fish for so we can give you ideas on lures.

Brian

I had the oldest set of walker down riggers the great lakes prob ever saw 2 start out with. Might sound funny to some but i actually practiced in the back yard with the boat on the trailer. It really gives you a idea how things work , that way if you mess up the brake your not sending every thing to the bottom of the lake, ony a couple of feet onto the driveway. Theres some good posts in here on how far back to set your lines 4 how deep your running etc, etc, etc. good luck.

Welfare, a little advice, if you happen to go out alone don't try to set up going into the wind :( . How big is your boat, I've got a 16ft lund and I have to use the bow mount electric to keep the boat strait when setting up. You have to keep your eyes on the depth finder all the time so you don't hang a weight on the bottom. The first time I tried to set up I wound the two rigger cables and lines up, what a mess. I was so mad I through ever thing in the bottom of the boat and went home. At that time there was no one to tell you anything, it was the first year salmon run. Read all past post you can and you will be catching salmon with the best of us. Good luck. :):) Mike.

I made it out on friday, after a bit of messing around I figured out how to use the downriggers. I went out in front of the Darlington powerplant and marked hundreds of fish. I tried everything I had but not a bite. It was nice to get out for the first time of the year and the first time on lake ontario.