Syracuse esox

I'm about to move into college in the coming days at SUNY ESF. As someone who has caught a severe case of the pike bug back home in the southern tier rivers I would love to continue fishing for these fish while at school. Any advice on how/where to target both pike and tigers from shore in the Syracuse area would be much appreciated. I do plan on making a few trips to the Otisco causeway but I don't want to make a habit of it. I already have all of the necessary tools and baits to chase esox from shore, I just need an idea of what the bite up here is like given how different it is from my rivers back home. Thanks for any info you guys provide, attached are some of my best catches from my home waters, I'm excited to have a chance at tigers up here since the pure musky have swerved me so far

Pike full (3) - 35.jpg

Pike full - 32(1).jpg

Pike full - 32 (2).jpg

Pike full - 31.jpg

• Like 1

You might want to check out the Seneca River (for pike and tiger muskies) which runs into Onondaga Lake and also the west end of the lake. It might be an ideal place for you to explore with your kayak. You just wouldn't want to eat any fish from there. You also might want to consider joining Muskies Inc. Central NY Chapter 70. Those guys can give you advice on waters in the Syracuse area and tactics on them. There are several small to very small lakes that are stocked with tiger muskies east of Syracuse and in the Adirondacks north of Utica. For walleye Oneida Lake is exceptional. You can target them there in the spring from shore/wading, especially in the dark with small crankbaits.

• Like 1

From shore, there is decent public access on Onondaga lake at the parks and around the state launch. Big tigers and pike in there and you'll also likely catch a lot of nice bass. Short drive from ESF. Also little further drive but all the lake ontario bays and creeks/rivers have a lot of pike and some have pretty good shore access spots. A kayak would do a lot of good on those bodies of water for you.

Look into joining the ESF bassmasters club too. A lot of really good multi species fishermen in that club. Enjoy..you picked a great school.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Honda Dan said:

Otisco Lake would be a good choice. Lots of Tiger Muskies.  They will keep you entertianed !!

Definitely on my list but I don't want to be stuck on the causeway too much, especially with how many other people will be there, I like fishing most when I'm alone in nature

10 hours ago, muskiedreams said:

You might want to check out the Seneca River (for pike and tiger muskies) which runs into Onondaga Lake and also the west end of the lake. It might be an ideal place for you to explore with your kayak. You just wouldn't want to eat any fish from there. You also might want to consider joining Muskies Inc. Central NY Chapter 70. Those guys can give you advice on waters in the Syracuse area and tactics on them. There are several small to very small lakes that are stocked with tiger muskies east of Syracuse and in the Adirondacks north of Utica. For walleye Oneida Lake is exceptional. You can target them there in the spring from shore/wading, especially in the dark with small crankbaits.

I have looked into the Seneca river and Onondaga pretty heavily, but I am going to be limited to shore fishing being that I can't bring my yak to school. I'll definitely consider joining Muskies Inc. it'll be cool to talk to other guys into esox, not too popular back home, only met 3 guys who do it.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

From shore, there is decent public access on Onondaga lake at the parks and around the state launch. Big tigers and pike in there and you'll also likely catch a lot of nice bass. Short drive from ESF. Also little further drive but all the lake ontario bays and creeks/rivers have a lot of pike and some have pretty good shore access spots. A kayak would do a lot of good on those bodies of water for you.

Look into joining the ESF bassmasters club too. A lot of really good multi species fishermen in that club. Enjoy..you picked a great school.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, being so close to school Onondaga will definitely be my stomping grounds for the next 3 years. Unfortunately I can't bring my yak to school being that I have to stay in the dorms, but maybe once I'm off campus I'll find room for it. I will definitely have to look into Ontario a bit but don't want to make it my go-to, would rather stay close. I do plan on joining the club, or at least getting to know a few of the guys. I used to be big into bass fishing, although I never did much conventional, all big swimbaits. Esox have stolen my heart and there's no going back now, lake fish are going to be a whole different game now...

• 1 month later...