Fly Fishing Knots

Yesterday I hooked 10 steelies in the Vermillion river (30 miles west of cleveland). The problem is I only landed 3 of them; 4 broke my line, and 3 just got off. I am a beginner by all means to fly fishing- My line was snapping at the knots. I have never been a fan of the clinch (fishermans) knot- but that is what I was told to tie around the fly; and around the hook to run another fly behind it. None of the fish that I hooked up were small either; so that could have been an issue. Avg was 6-7lbs; the biggest one (I lost it) looked to be around 30 inches 10-12lbs.

Does anyone use a different knot for fly fishing; or is that the best knot to use? It could be my knots were not the greatest, I am not sure... Any advice will help. thanks guys

I have always used the clinch knot and never really had bad experience with it. However I have been fishing streams where I seldom get a trout bigger than 3-4 pounds. Tippet size is also critical to landing the size fish you are targeting. Not sure what leader type you are using, tapered, straight, or florocarbon. If you are wrapping the line more than 4 or 5 turns for the clinch it is too many. Lube the knot before tightening it and be sure the knot windings don't pile up.

Another way to tie the clinch is to double the line, pass the loop through the eye and tie it the same as the clinch. Known as the double improved clinch knot (not to be confused with the "improved" clinch). That way you have twice the line wrapping the eye of the hook.

I have landed salmon on the double improved and never experience a break off.

Another good knot is the perfection loop. Tie the loop in the leader and pass it throught the eye of the fly and pass the loop over the back of the fly. This is the best knot for flourocarbon. It lets the loop lay straight in plane with the main part off the leader

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... dknots.com

This will help ;)

Mark

Another good knot is the perfection loop. Tie the loop in the leader and pass it throught the eye of the fly and pass the loop over the back of the fly. This is the best knot for flourocarbon. It lets the loop lay straight in plane with the main part off the leader

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... dknots.com

This will help ;)

Mark

Perfection knot always. Never a problem for me. Sounds like you had some bad leader material though. Its one thing to have one break once in a while but 3 or 4 doesn't sound right.

RR

Thanks for the comebacks- I am using tapered leader; and my clinch knot could have been wraped too many times. I was doing 6 wraps-- I will try the double clinch next time. And I may consider putting a flurocarbon leader on; although I heard it can be difficult to tie knots with it.. Like I said I am a beginner and it will take some time to learn the tricks and proper techniques. Thanks for the info

I never use tapered leaders. I always use knotted leaders. Not only are they stronger, the knots help turn the fly over better. 100% flourocarbon too. Should be able to order them from any good fly shop. Then order a few spools of flouro tipit in thelb test of choice. AND ALWAYS RETIE YOR FLY AFTER LANDING A FISH! Thats a biggie!

RR

• 2 years later...

Choosing the right fishing knot is a key element in fly fishing. To master the art of fly fishing requires the use of different techniques to regular fishing and, in particular, knowledge of the various fly fishing knots. Fly fishing requires more knots than most other forms of fishing where, generally, if you can tie your line to the hook you are golden.