Autopilot

After reading on here, I had mt heart set on a Simrad AP12 or 14. After taking some console measurements it has become clear to me the Raymarine Smartpilot X-5 would be a much easier install. I would have to do significant modifications to get the 10" clearance for the motorized steering box with the Simrad. Does anyone have any input on this product? I have mechanical cable steering. Looking over the manual am I understanding correctly that if I am going to hook up the NMEA 0183 from my GPS I do not hook up the fluxgate compass that comes with the unit? Thanks!

Hank at L&M is finishing up a Simrad installation in my Starcraft Islander and I am sure he could convince you that if you think from the beginning you don't have room, you may want to go w/ the Raymarine. I do think that the Simrad is a better unit but it just takes up a lot more room that might require extensive modifications to the helm, etc. Hind sight is often 20-20!

Im probably answering something I dont really know enough about. But I think you need the fluxgate compas

to tell the GPS or autopilot what direction the boats going in . Or if the boats off course.

I have the Simrad and most of the time I just point it in the direction I want to go .

Your GPS unit probably has a GO TO button to tell the autopilot to go to a certain waypoint.

Hope this helps,maybe someone can clarify this better. Hey Mackerel

I would like to thank everyone for their input. This is one fine message board for sure! My SmartPilot X-5 is on a short backorder(should ship May 22). I pulled the steering wheel, leangthened my NMEA 0183 leads from the GPS and have a basic game plan on where I will mount the computer & fluxgate compass which I do need(thanks FishStix!). The 3 & 1/16 hole for the controller is already drilled in the console. I'm thinking three hours tops! Pretty stoked to see how it will work. I have and outboard with a 9.9 kicker & steering link. I know when both motors are down steering is a breeze. I will be curious to see if it can handle things when I'm on the big motor and the kicker is up? I can't say I would be real comfortable cruising on plane with the autopilot??? Updates to follow. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Finally tested my new sportpilot and am very happy. Never got arround to the autolearn part because it was too rough and when it finally got calm I was fishing. It held a course perfectly and only once in 4-5s with me in the back of the boat rigging did it loose course.

Thanks for updating,

When it went off course, it just beeped to tell you that it was happening? or did it go way off course and continue to beep?

I'm in the same situation, I want a AP14R but none of the vendors will stock them. Again I called Navico today, and they said there are 5 units on the shelf for sale? I can purchase directly from Navico if I want to pay the $1962.00 list price. So I'm stuck paying $500 more for the AP14R then the X-5 AP if I go that route. I'm thinking of getting the X-5 which like you said mount's up without modifactions.

Did you have any problems with the way the X-5 operated other then going off course in 4-5's? Some say it's very noisy and some caution that the X-5 may have the same clutch issues as the older units. What is you take on all this now that you have used one on your boat?

I was planning on purchasing the Simrad today as the shipping date was today, well now its next month. I heard that story two months ago. Wheres Ralph Nader when you need him...?

Does anyone on LOU have a dealer setup with Navico that I could purchase a unit from?

I had read about the noise on here but to me it was acceptable. It made for a much more enjoyable day on the water. I didn't even calibrate mine just hit auto and it held course. The one time it went off course we were both in the back of the boat 21' Starcraft center console and the 29mph wind and big waves spun us so quick the auto pilot didn't have a chance. It could never have held at the speed we were going(2.0) without increassing the throtle which it can't do. I honestly don't recall how it was beeping or what it was doing I just knew we were way off course.