Controls for kicker at helm

salmonite

Looking for a long shaft kicker and I have been looking for ones with controls at helm. Most outboards I have found with controls are significant more expensive than tillers.

Shouldn't I just buy a troll master and pair it with a tiller because of the adjustability and start my kicker at the back of the boat? I have a fishmaster so it's not like it's out of reach.. What other benefits am I missing of having controls at helm.

Also found a 9.9 no tiller with pull start no controls... I could just add a troll master to that and not buy the controls correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by salmonite

Looking for a long shaft kicker and I have been looking for ones with controls at helm. Most outboards I have found with controls are significant more expensive than tillers.

Shouldn't I just buy a troll master and pair it with a tiller because of the adjustability and start my kicker at the back of the boat? I have a fishmaster so it's not like it's out of reach.. What other benefits am I missing of having controls at helm.

Also found a 9.9 no tiller with pull start no controls... I could just add a troll master to that and not buy the controls correct?

I bought a fishmaster 210 last year with a 9.9  yamaha kicker with all controls at the helm. I put a trollMaster on also...... good thing because the helm control just does not have any where near the dial in that the TrollMaster can....... BUT it sure is nice to run too the area your going to fish , shut down the big motor , power tilt down the kicker , start it up , then get around a set-up the rest.....sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes power tilt and trim which the ones I have found does not have either. I was thinking I had to go to the back to put it in the water so what's the difference if I had to start it there too

I agree with E-Rabbit!!!! I had the same reasoning plus I wanted to save $$$ however my dealer talked me out of it and I'm glad he did. I added a troll Master and with the controls by the helm & the TM it was well worth it. It's a small investment considering everything else but it's easy to spend someone else $$$$$.

i installed a control king last year and it works great.my kicker is tied in the front with a tie rod bar to the main engines for turning and use the control king for throttle,no need for controls as long as the motor has a lever on the side to put it in gear.if you cant run a tie rod bar in the front,you can get an ez-steer which ties the motors together from the back.

No forward control for me. I have a 115out board and a 8hp kicker with troll master. When I get to where were fishing I back the big motor down, keep it running,  while other guys start setting up. I have a quick connect in the front of both motors that I engage for steering from the main motor. Pull start the little guy let it warm a minute and put in gear and away we go. The trolling motor is tipped up during running out, and then simply tipped down to fish. I think that's why it works easy for me, right on the transom and simply tip it down.

That motor still may work for you, you'd just have to rig something to engage it into gear, might be more trouble than it's worth.  Something else to think about, the control king type throttle controls only work on 4 stroke engines, or at least that's how they use to be.  If you want the kicker to charge batteries you also want to make sure it has an alternator, most with electric start do, most pull start only motors do not.

My set up is like scobars and it works very well.