New Power pro hollow ace braid?

So there is this new power pro braid line out now that is hollow weaved strands of fiber. The stuff has the ability to grab (like a finger trap) a leader or possibly backing without a knot. I'm thinking this would be great for running flouro off copper or backing to copper and having the smooth transition between the two without the obtrusive knot catching a guide on reel or rod. It might also be the end of the weaker point of having a knot or spro connection.

The line seems no more pricey than regular braid, but the rigging kit is like 95 bucks, and you have to insert 4 feet of leader into the hollow braid. I might try to ask someone who is familiar with It's use and see what they think of a wire connection to the hollow ace braid.

Any thoughts?

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content ... w_ace.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbigrock10lines.html

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

mark, i havent used hollow ace before but i have some experience with JB hollow spectra for splicing and wind on leaders for tuna. specifically casting wind ons for heavy spinning gear where you need to reel in the leader and cast out the connection thus having the need for a smooth connection. the connections when done right are amazingly strong. i like your idea for copper line, not sure how it would work though. need to experiment there. you might like to do some research here;

http://www.bhptackle.com/index.php

http://www.streamlineleaders.com/

best, mark

In my travels, I will try to seek out some hollow braid and a needle kit. Sometimes I get near the ocean where I probably would find more chance at getting a sample to try.

Thanks Mark for the reply, and the links. They are interesting and informative.

Tight lines

Mark

Skipper 19

Last year, I began working with Fat Nancy's on this very same tactic to eliminate all knots. Stemming from the saltwater side of things, hollow core has been used to seamlessly join heavy fluoro leaders to braid backing for tuna and billfish for years.

We have been using 80 pound C 16 by Cortland on the Atom-ik copper and 30 pound fluoro for the business end. However, if you want to use a fluoro leader lighter than 30 pound, then you must use 40# Hollow Ace with a spliced loop and attach that loop to the copper/80# C 16. The 80 pound C 16 or any hollow core for that reason is to big for 20-25 pound leader. The fluoro will slip out.

as for the needles. We use a 150 pound needle for the copper and it can be inserted into the 80# c 16, no problem. I use the 50 pound needle to insert the 30# fluoro into the C 16.

When I vertical jig the kings, I have to use Hollow Ace by Shimano and in the 40 pound test because they are the only company that makes a line in that small of diameter. Hollow Ace 40# allows me to use the 12-20 pound leaders with no slippage at all.

In rigging this way, the copper breaks before the junctions. When I spoke with Fat Nancy's last, he was sourcing the needles and has all of the proper gear and know how to construct the system.

Good Luck if you try this sytem. It is nice with no knots.

Capt. Chris Gatley

Navionics Regional Manager

Thanks Chris and Mike! This was exactly what I was looking for :yes:...excellent video!..I will give this technique a go and I feel it will end the problem of knots and the weak link. It is very frustrating to get a good albright to be strong and I have painstakingly tied them dozens of times before finally getting a knot that I "THINK" will hold. Lost a very stout king last year due to the albright letting go. I have tried for hours to get a better version of albright to work but either the knot was too big or it failed.

Thanks again everyone for the great info!...Mike if I have any issues or questions I'll take your offer and ask you.

Mark

I looked for c 16 and found it came in high yardage spools for some big bucks which would be good for a reel fill and 80 lb has 18 lb mono diameter, not bad.

I found power pro hollow ace comes in a 100 yd spool in 80 lb test. Reasonable price and rigging kit cost break from http://www.tackledirect.com/powerpro-ho ... spool.html

I want to try loop end connection hollow ace to solid core braid backing ...finger trap the copper and serve the beginning of the copper.

Then the terminal end of the copper ...finger trap it and the butt end of the flouro leader in a wind on style connection like your video shows.

A rather inexpensive complete reel fill versus a full hollow core backing, but does require another served connection.

Now to make one of these connections, in case of failure, on a smaller open boat in the water, could be a challenge. A clamp on jig for serving might work. The skippers with big boat cabins should have an advantage there.

Mark