Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. While fishing the bay this fall and on the ice the other day, I noticed the break wall set up they put in is actually causing issues with the bay. It looks like the sand is washing into the bay through the East end between the Point and the wall when the water is high. The sand at the end of the point now extends way into the bay. Spots I used to set tip ups is now dry land. I thought the point of the break wall was to keep the bay from filling in?
  2. Jail time and a steep fine. The laughable game fines in New York are not a deterrence for people. The fines should be a hardship for EVERYONE. If you don't want to pay fines, don't break the law!
  3. The worst part about that is the $1075 fine. What a joke. NY game law fines are way too low.
  4. I have never seen them before. Interesting.
  5. That wasn't always the case. For years, it was all big smallies and no little ones. The run is weird from year to year also. Some years they come in early, and it's strung out over a month and some years they come in in one big wave over a couple of days..
  6. Carolina Classics had a water ingestion issue with some motors. Read up on it. I had this discussion with one of my customers. He lost lots of fishing time due to this issue.
  7. VHS disease took a huge toll. Tons of dead bass floating up the one year. I can't remember the year but my lab enjoyed rolling on the carcasses at Braddocks that summer. I believe 2004 or 2005 was when VHS disease reared it's ugly head. The spring run of smallmouth at Sandy has been slowly getting better the past five or so years. We are now seeing small fish instead of just big fish and more of them.
  8. I'm all for it. We used to have a blast smallmouth fishing off Monroe County. They are still there but in way smaller numbers.
  9. If we call them all steelhead or all rainbows, it simplifies regulations and creel limits. In the end we have a world class fishery so does it matter?
  10. New York Angler Achievement Awards Program - NYDEC Look at the state records. There is just rainbow and no steelhead. It is all lumped into one species.
  11. Dropping the creel limit from 5 down to 2 or3 would help too. This needs to happen lake wide. When the bass population took a dive years ago, I brought this up during the state of the lake meeting and was told they were keeping it at five for bass tournaments........
  12. Hogdens website has it. Not cheap but its available often. Stock pile it when you can!
  13. Spoon Blanks for building fishing lures (barlowstackle.com) Trolling Spoons for Walleye, Salmon, Trout & More (lurepartsonline.com)
  14. You can buy the blanks on a website. I don't remember which site off hand but I will dig it up and post it.
  15. My father's old house had a ton of grays. I wish I could still hunt there. They are beautiful animals. Silver Fox are even better looking and more rare!
  16. Those grays are beautiful! I want to shoot one for the pelt.
  17. Looking through our temp data for todays date (12/27) for the past 11 years, we are currently sitting at the second highest intake temp. We will see how the winter pans out but the YOY alewife need this pattern to continue! Here are the temps for the past 11 years on this date: 2023 - 44 degrees 2022 - 35 degrees 2021 - 42 degrees 2020 - 40 degrees 2019 - 39 degrees 2018 - 39 degrees 2017 - 36 degrees 2016 - 40 degrees 2015 - 45 degrees 2014 - 40 degrees 2013 - 37 degrees
  18. I have 13 years, 5 months and 21 days until I can retire with a full pension. I don't know if I will make it that long. It's getting worse and it doesn't look like it is getting better anytime soon. Just when you think it couldn't get worse, they double down on stupidity!
  19. As of right now, it only affects coyote, fox, crow and squirrel competitions. I wouldn't be surprised if it all gets banned soon. This state is on a bad path right now. My days of living in this state are numbered.
  20. Didn't the Susquehanna have historic flooding in the past 10 or so years? This could have really changed the river and affected spawning areas and holding areas too. Something to think about.
  21. I'm not going to the school but I will be there with Gambler Rigs and will be doing 2 lake trout seminars.
  22. How do you keep up the demand of species they do not stock or fragile populations like the St. Lawrence muskies? Too much pressure, over harvest or mishandling could cause severe damage to fragile populations that could take the DEC years to correct. The communities around Hemlock and Candaice Lake do not benefit at all from fishing pressure on these lakes. There is literally nothing around these lakes. All it has done is put a strain on the fishery and more ice fishermen are leaving garbage on the ice. The internet has done more bad than good for NY fish populations IMO.
  23. The internet has not helped many fisheries. Just like Canadice and Hemlock lakes. They used to be ghost towns (especially ice season) and now there is tons of traffic on them.
  24. As of right now, its only limited to Squirrell, Crow, fox and coyote. IF this clown doesn't get voted out of office, I wouldn't be surprised if it all goes away. I just read an article yesterday on the possibility of NY following Californias lead of banning charcoal and gas grills. Unreal........
  25. Thanks guys! They published this article a couple years ago. It's nice to see they are running it again!
×
×
  • Create New...