Jump to content

Gator

Professional
  • Posts

    3,010
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gator

  1. Don't let Dave get his hands on that. It sounds like it could lose 8" lol.
  2. I suggest that if the goal is truly to restore lake trout, then the largest impact could be realized by outlawing Gambler Rigs
  3. Hey Devo, good running into you this week. We hammered them after you left, bunch of slabs, all still hanging out there. One kamikaze eye that tried to jump through the hole like a tarpon, busted my line and laughed at me.
  4. I do build rods, but I don't sell rods. Sorry, man, Honestly, custom rods don't save you any money either, once you're done outfitting them. The upside is that you get exactly what you want, though :). John Powell on here builds professionally. And I know a guy who has a new 44" lake trout rod that could be cut down to size .
  5. Ditto. Let's all get along. We're a community, no reason to poke the bear.
  6. I will arm wrestle him for it, Scotty. KIdding.
  7. LS- read your pms! Your rod is done. Come and get it.
  8. Shazam!
  9. I've read all his books, and I want to know - how old is that picture on the cover? Not saying nothing, though. I'd take a few years and a pound of gray off the top too if I published a book. Lol. Looking forward to the new read.
  10. Ok, that last one got me. LOL.
  11. Man, that hurts. But when your middle school girlfriend broke up with you (not that I'd know much about that lol), what came next? Rebound!! So you have that to look forward to. I'm confident that you will find a way forward. One door closes, another opens, right?
  12. It's funny how this thread just lingers. I'd guess that 95% of the time, those Rage broadheads work perfectly - otherwise, they wouldn't sell. It's the other 5% that concerns me. It seems like shots with a steeper entry angle are prone to mishap, particularly around the shoulder. It could be that this is all just an urban myth and that Rage are no worse than any other brand out there...maybe there are so many folks that use Rage, it's inevitable that there will be more horror stories. But I know I've had some Rage fails in the past, switched to Slick Trick, and haven't looked back. Maybe I've become a better hunter and choose better shots in my age...I mean wisdom. Regardless, IMHO the only difference between a bowhunter who hasn't experienced an issue with mechanical broadheads and one who has is time.
  13. All of our wire diver rods have always used Twili tips. We love them.
  14. Indeed! AFC at Bills Stadium would rock. Did you hear that crowd last night? I can't believe that 6,700 people made that much noise. Really got to them in that backup situation at the goal line. 12th man!! Go Bills!
  15. 12" is a nice crappie. There will undoubtedly be lots of smaller fish to feed the seagulls as guys weed through them to get there. Not every one that gets released dies, but not every one survives, either. If nothing else, the scientist in me says it's an interesting experiment. But slot limit management techniques have been proven effective over and over, I don't get why they aren't used more. Keep your 9-12" eaters, nothing below, one trophy fish above.
  16. No charge, I like building them. I'd be stoked to build another laker rod. Let me see what I have in terms of blanks or what I can get, and I'll be in touch with you.
  17. I hate this damn disease with a passion. Too many good folks taken too soon. Rest in peace, Mike. We will think of you often this coming season.
  18. All few years ago, I watched 33Canuck pulling up Keuka lakers one after another on a perch rod. Yeah, they're not the biggest lake trout in the world, but I think that most of what happens to determine whether you land the fish is on the angler end. I just like having dedicated rods for different fishing situations, because I like to build and test them. It's tough to beat a whippy fiberglass blank in shallow water. But I will take a "bullwhip" carbon blank with a needle tip and decent backbone outside of 15' for panfish, and once you start talking jigging rapalas and heavier jigs, the gauge changes again. Different tools for different jobs. I mean, you can make anything work if you're a decent fisherman, right? But half the fun for me is figuring out my favorite. I could have limited myself to brunettes as a younger man, but where would have been the fun in that lol?
  19. Every year, I seem to get pictures of little bucks sparring until their antlers fall off. They must figure, if you got them, use them. Their annual appointment with the deer-equivalent of "Dr. Snip" is coming soon enough. And Rob, much as a I feel for you, and I've been there too, I think you've got to look at it as fifteen+ years of being blessed. But it sure does suck in the moment.
  20. I like my HT rods, too. Not as much as the two of you, obviously. But I only use them in shallow water, since I find that the parabolic bend of the light glass makes cranking up a crappie to get back down onto the school fast a bit...tricky. Kev, you should let me build you a rod and see if I can change your mind lol.
  21. Yep, the Tickle Stick is a nice rod with a flat tip that serves as a strike indicator, and the Widowmaker is another higher end option that's very light and sensitive, but with decent backbone for lifting slabs. What's your primary application? How deep a water are you fishing? I love the freefall in 15+ feet, just to let a slow fluttering presentation, and with zero twist you don't spook shy fish. You could also consider going all the way and having a custom rod made to specifications. I have a freefall on both light and ultralight setups that I use for crappie in deeper water, and they are very nice.
  22. I won't be the idiot who says, "that's why they call it hunting". Duh, I just was. Sorry to hear you didn't connect. Sounds like a fun trip and great group.
  23. I'll ask the question that's burning in everyone's mind: what happened in Ohio this year? Dish, Rob! Enquiring minds want to know.
  24. I used to carry a man card for the same reason, until my wife took it away from me.
  25. Lots of interesting information there. I recall that Les posted a link referring to the recent Science article on how leftovers from tires wearing down were causing big problems in West Coast Coho. Here's the abstract. I don't know how widely this applies to other salmonids, but it's worth considering.
×
×
  • Create New...