-
Posts
3,010 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Gator
-
-
My season recap: Start each day with unwarranted optimism. Sit. Watch. Crap. No deer. Curse and return home. Repeat. 83 times. Lol. Honestly, though, this was by far the poorest season I've had in decades, despite having hunted more than ever. I'm assuming it was just me, since others seem to have done well, including some buddies I hunt with. I'd say luck of the draw, but I suspect that there's something I'm missing, scent, movement in the stand, hearing - we joked that I might have selective Turret's syndrome that only manifests in the woods, combined with early AD so I forget what I did. Picture this: deer comes by, I see it and start swearing at it like a sailor. Deer shakes its head sadly and moves on. Best day was October 1st, when I videoed three 2 1/2 year old 8 points wandering under the stand feeding on acorns. The worst days were the next 82. My bowhunting ledger that I keep for DEC showed that I had a fair number of sightings from the stand, and you'd think that the numbers look good, but many times it was something like thirteen doe that stormed by as I was getting ready to leave, probably pushed by somebody else or a buck one of the neighbors had shot, coming over to die by me. Not a joke. My number three buck got shot and lost by a neighbor. My number two buck got taken by another neighbor who saw it chasing a doe in his backyard, went inside to get his rifle, and shot it between the houses. My number one disappeared, so who knows? I was happy to take a small eight and a doe with clean shots during gun, one of them at 170 yards, which isn't a long shot but it's my longest. Now, if we're going to talk about how much fun I had being able to hunt with my friends and spend time in the woods, that's a truly different story. Production may have been down, but the value I place on being blessed with the ability to hunt and share my hunting with the people I love is immeasurable. Stay frosty, my friends! Until next year...
-
Looking for a spare spool for my first gen CI4 4000F. If you have one floating around off an older reel, please LMK. Thanks!
-
I feel that the selection offered by Sportsmans Warehouse in Rochester far exceeds that offered by Field and Stream, who occupied that space until the turnover. SH needed to dump a bunch of F&S brand gear, but now they've replaced it with an expanded selection of some nice stuff. It's a shame to see Bass Pro establishing an effective monopoly. I've rarely ever ordered from them, and have never been much impressed with their business model.
-
-
-
Other Covid Relief Package 300 million to fisheries
Gator replied to Bo Hunter's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Hey Muskie, thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense now. And makes it all that much more confusing at the same time... So much for transparency. We are our own worse enemies, some days. Sigh. -
I hunted more this season than ever before, but with less to show for it. I think that the dry conditions this summer impacted deer movement on one property and a combination of factors affected the other, but also I'm convinced that the constant tread of boots on the ground left danger signals that the deer picked up on quickly. Even rotating properties and stands, we put a pounding on both places. But everybody shot deer, even if there were no real studs taken, there were some nice bucks, some great stories, and most importantly we were all able to enjoy being away from the sh$t storm of 2020 for awhile. Onto offseason property management, which I enjoy as much as the hunting. No big projects planned for this year, but we are starting to develop a plan for a 13 acre field that hasn't done us any favors lately. A combination of food, cover, and screening for access are in order. It all begins today, ay wife and I are heading over shortly to cap small pine trees so as to protect the terminal leaders from browsing over the winter, something we do for hundreds of small pines every year to encourage "volunteers". I hope everyone enjoyed their season as much as I did and has a safe and happy holidays!
-
Other Covid Relief Package 300 million to fisheries
Gator replied to Bo Hunter's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
True 'dat. I'm all for cleaning up the great lakes, but it doesn't belong in a COVID relief package. I'm hearing lots of pork made it in, though, unsurprisingly. Strange days are these. -
Other Covid Relief Package 300 million to fisheries
Gator replied to Bo Hunter's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I've got to think that the $ is earmarked for the fisheries industry, not for fisheries management, but I haven't read the entire 6000 page document lol. -
-
Slide Divers on Wire Rod?
Gator replied to VanderLaan's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Ditto. We use this setup for spring kings in 30' of water, albeit with slightly more mono (50-60'). Once we get to the summer, we simply clip the mono down to 10' for the rest of the season so that all of the wire sits on the reel. This avoids kinks. Works mint. -
-
Man, she's been chowing well. Good find. I wish my food plot looked like Ken's! The stupid deer ate everything is sight before late October. One of the three still has some marble sized beets and radishes, but that's it. I'd put up a fence, but I'm not into the $$ and having to put it up and take it down every year. I'm still mulling possibilities. I may seek some professional guidance next year on food, cover and access improvements.
-
-
Seneca Salmon die-off cause relevant to our area??
Gator replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I'm not disagreeing about geographical politics, but that has less than nothing to do with this article. It was published in "Science", which is certainly not geopolitically constrained, and it was peer-reviewed by the best minds in the field, almost certainly including academics from overseas. "Science" is one of the big three (Science, Nature, Cell) and is nearly impossible to get into without jumping through ridiculous hoops to ensure rigor and reproducibility. -
-
Seneca Salmon die-off cause relevant to our area??
Gator replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
This article came out last week in Science. The story is solid. And disturbing. -
Tree Identification - Black Oak, Red Cedar, Hackberry
Gator replied to Pete Collin's topic in Big / Small Game
I wish they were more so!! So many of the woodlots on the L. Ontario shoreline and Niagara frontier are comprised primarily of ash, including much of one of mine, and when the canopy opens, the invasive species take over. It used to be that a chainsaw was a woodlands manager's best friend. Now, it's just an invitation for bush honeysuckle, multiflora rose, buckthorn... Okay, I'll stop with the doom and gloom. It's tough to watch though. We've planted over 3000 stems on our 43 acre piece, massive diversity, all in tubes or cages - but I'm fairly sure that the deer and mice have taken out >80% of what we put in. 3' tubes for native shrubs were a joke. May as well have put neon signs saying, "Here's dinner". -
-
-
-
-
I unfortunately had an owl come down and smash the grill on my truck on the way to my deer stand. I'm still picking feathers out of it. Oddly enough, thirty odd years ago I also hit an owl, that one being the first snowy owl to have shown up in the Hudson River Valley in many, many years. As I found out after making some calls, the Audubon Society had been following the owl, and they were understandably devastated when I told them I'd killed it. I did, however, donate the carcass to them. Lots of stink eye from the folks that came to pick it up, but what can you do when an owl decides to land in the road in front of your vehicle when you're doing 35 mph?
-






