-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Rigger release, FishHawk and weight setup- need some advice
Sk8man replied to 1lastweekend's topic in Tackle and Techniques
Don, If it breaks at the crimp near the swivel snap (snap which is rated for about 200 plus pounds) the safety wire (90 lb ss wire) should still hold it if the crimp in the middle of the release prevents the Black release from sliding down (hopefully). The Fishhawk break away cable is designed to prevent loss of the probe by sacrificing the weight alone but this is presuming the main cable doesn't break. The setup above is in addition to the break away cable (not pictured). The Fishhawk breakaway cable attaches to the main swivel snap pictured above and the snap of the safety wire also snaps on the probe along with the main snap so both attach in the same hole to the top of the probe. As I mentioned it hasn't been tested but I have seen a couple of the probes deep sixed on other boats so I figured it was worth the $300 for a new probe to try something different. -
Rigger release, FishHawk and weight setup- need some advice
Sk8man replied to 1lastweekend's topic in Tackle and Techniques
This setup has never been tested (thank God) but on my probe rigger I have a "safety" line also hooked to the probe itself in the event of a failure of the main connection point. I use an older version of the Black release that is attached right on the wire and a 90 lb wire with heavy duty swivel attached to the middle of the release which is 150 lb rigger cable and I attach both swivels to the probe. In the event of failure of the main connection theoretically the probe by itself would still be attached by the "safety wire". There is a crimp in the middle of the Black to prevent it from sliding down. -
Rigger release, FishHawk and weight setup- need some advice
Sk8man replied to 1lastweekend's topic in Tackle and Techniques
-
Rigger release, FishHawk and weight setup- need some advice
Sk8man replied to 1lastweekend's topic in Tackle and Techniques
Rookie is right. I'd get that breakaway cable pictured. None of the cable connections are a guarantee if for example you get hung up on something but much cheaper to replace a weight than the probe. I think a potential weak link may be the Chamberlain connection. Why not secure the probe to the main downrigger connection (assuming it is secure) and use a stacker version Chamberlain above the main downrigger snap? It would eliminate one possible weak link in the system. Then attach the Fishhawk standard breakaway cable to the main snap with the probe and then the weight. I think it may be a bit safer. Anytime you can eliminate a connection point you eliminate one potential failure point -
-
You'll notice that this thread is over 2 years old. It probably is something that is worth thinking and talking about though especially now that we are in between seasons and the weather isn't cooperating for either ice or boat fishing.` First of all there isn't just one correct answer to fishing the thermocline just as there isn't any one particular temperature that the fish will be found in all the time. Fishing the temps and fishing the marks are both important ingredients for potential success, and add to this fishing the bait. There is nothing magical about the thermocline itself or that it is a usually a 3-8 degree break in temperature. The underlying importance of it lies in the fact that when it forms (primarily during the summer months) the food sources (e.g. zooplankton and phytoplankton) that the baitfish feed on can become trapped within the layering of it and a lot of the stuff clusters there for large expanses within the water column and depending on underwater currents will often snake up and down within the water column and sometimes even drift sideways with current and or wind conditions, and travel along the bottom around major structural features (e.g. points etc.). Generally, the fish species may differ in how they orient to the changes in temperature residing above within or below it. As John mentioned above if you are fishing just above or within the thermocline especially in mid to late summer you often will be missing Chinooks as they may be either looking for food or actually feeding below the thermocline. Much of the time lakers are thought to be the marks down deep or suspended just off bottom and often they are but not always. Chinooks are frequently found down in the ice water (42 or 43 degree temp) and you sure don't think you have a laker on the downrigger running there after they hit So what you are left with is fishing the temps, but adjusting to the marks, and fishing back and forth around bait with setups "covering the bases".
-
-
Your father must have really known how to clean those blowfish as they are highly toxic even their skins and organs all contain the toxin.
-
-
-
It sure wasn't any noise you guys made that accounted for the results. I talked with an old timer after I got off the ice and he had a camera down the whole time and he said he never would have caught anything if not for the camera as the fish were coming up to the bait and just sitting there looking and opening their mouth and "testing" the bait without moving the rod tip etc. That accounts for all the "lookers" I had that stayed there for quite some time without me detecting a bite on the Vex. Even focusing on the line rather than the rod tip didn't give any clues to what they were doing. They always do something to keep you on your toes Regardless it was just good being out there rather than in the house wondering what was going on out there.
-
Hey longspurs I guess that was you I spoke with when the two of you guys walked off the ice. I didn't realize it was you at the time. I was the guy you said was sleeping while jigging I guess it could have been from lack of action that is for sure. Nice going as it was not the best of days fishing wise for most folks there today.
-
Wanted Kids Fishing Club - THANK YOU
Sk8man replied to C3M's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
New Gun laws getting voted on tomorrow in NY
Sk8man replied to fisherman21's topic in Big / Small Game
-
For whatever reason Vex batteries seem to mess up if you charge them with a charger other than the one that came with the unit despite being the same voltage/amperage (unit has some sort of memory?). I had a brand new back up battery that I charged up after purchase with another charger and I had the problem you are describing. The battery tested fully charged but wouldn't work in my FLX20
-
-
What is going on with these kickers
Sk8man replied to horsehunter's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
-
-
Rubber bands for release clips
Sk8man replied to Salmon guy's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
The Chamberlains do excel at the lighter fish release but they also max out at 4 lbs release strength so for running attractors, meat rigs etc. the Black's have a higher release strength. I have both and sometimes use the Chamberlain Stacker Release right on the same riggers with the Black's and located right above the Black on the wire (e.g. for walleyes or perch etc.). This way have the best of both worlds when after multi-species. -
-
-
Rubber bands for release clips
Sk8man replied to Salmon guy's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
-
-
X2 Just down the road from Oswego taking Rt 104 west to Port Bay
-








