Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. When fishing for walleyes lure speed and depth run can be critical to success. On Erie you are not always fishing them shallow as you might be in someplace like Honeoye where the max. depth of the lake is about 30 ft. I know we tend to think of making fishing easier with the autopilot but it offers little in the way of information about actually catching the fish....it is basically nice to have and especially if fishing solo The ones geared to electric trolling motors do offer a special ability if you can hover over fish and stay on spot while jigging . On big lakes like Erie the walleye suspend a lot in some deeper water than other shallower lakes. In the summer months especially, temperature and lure speed can become very important in catching them. Although the autopilot can be helpful in navigating to specific spots and also returning to port from distant spots, the Fishawk X4D combined with a good fishfinder can become invaluable or crucial in locating and targeting active fish. Personal opinion take it for what it is worth...
  2. I started seeing them about three or four years ago in the marina at the seneca lake State Park and caught them while fishing for panfish. In all liklihood they came up through the Seneca River like many of the rest of the invasives.
  3. Have 7 roller rods 4 for wire dipsys (2) 6 1/2 ft and (2) 8 1/2 ft) and 3 for Seth Green rigs and love every one of them. Oh! and another 5 Seth Greens.....almost forgot about them
  4. Part of the problem in any of these situations is that fish vision is different than ours in that their eyes are placed differently on their head (sides) such that they don't have the same ability we do for binocular vision which is required for true depth perception.
  5. Doubletap Rob's post on the coppers is one of the best on LOU. It will give you a great grounding in copper setups..
  6. Consider swivel bases also as when docking you want to be able to get the riggers out of the way and when your back light needs to be in the receptacle.
  7. I don't see any tie downs nor do I see a winch strap anyplace
  8. Don I'm not sure that you want a 5 lb breaking strength for most of the usual setups something about 3 -3 1/2 lbs is usually about right. Otherwise you can carry around small fish without realizing it. When I use rubber bands I use the very small ones that girls use on their hair that can be found in most department stores such as Joann Fabrics, Walmart, Big Lots and possibly even someplace like Dollar Tree. They usually have them in fluorescent colors as well as black and I mainly use the fluporescent ones as they are easy to see etc. You just half hitch loop one end on your line and place the other end in the release arm. With that said if the release tension is set right on the Blacks release the need for rubber bands is avioded. To check the release pressure get one of those inexpensive scales used for weighing luggage at Walmart etc.(less than $10)
  9. It is difficult to tell from the pic exactly how much room there is near where the rear cleats are now located but if you had some access to the underside of the gunwales to put a backing plate and to mount the rigger bases near the corners you might consider moving the cleats slightly forward of their current position and placing the riggers there where they would be separated well and still readily accessible without the board across approach which sometime interferes with netting fish etc.....just a thought.
  10. Well, that clarifies the issue I guess as Andy Copenhaver is about the most knowledgable and competent reel person I've ever encountered. Maybe I got lucky with mine....but again I don't use them in king country
  11. A couple years ago my frequent fishing buddy and I decided to give it a shot on Canandaigua and it was later in the day than usual so I hustled to the launch ramp as I wanted to pay his way in at the ramp. I paid the money and waited for him to arrive and I had told the attendant what his truck looked like etc. and he arrives and comes in the parking lot. We both stared at each other in disbelief and shook our heads as neither of us had brought our boat with us and assumed the other was going to.We had a good laugh and scraped the idea for the day. Don't worry Bob I won't mention your name
  12. I was focused on the drag problem but Mr. 580 may be right
  13. Off to a nice start
  14. It sounds to me that the present drag elements may toasted. Sometimes oil gets to them and that doesn't help either despite what some folks may think. The reels have a 5.1:1 gear ratio which allows them to be retrieved quite readily in addition to decent line capacity. I have managed kings on them but they aren't the best at that. For somewhat lighter duty they perform adequately when the drag elements are updated. Do they compare with a Saltist? No. and that is what you want if fishing mainly or frequently for kings. For the $20 or so to upgrade the drags it isn't a bad investment if you do much fishing for browns or walleyes etc.
  15. One of the things worth noting is how much difficulty the fish has actually catching up with the bait. Note the motion (action) of the dodger....it is being trolled too fast. The dodger should be swaying more side to side and more slowly so that the bait isn't jerked so much away from the fish. One of the things that becomes apparent in most of these videos is the difficulty many fish have nailing a target sideways and they try to come straight from the back. Either the lure has to be weighted more to slow it (and not necessarily the attractor). the leader from attractor to lure needs to be lenghtened, or the speed needs to be reduced over-all to allow them to actually grab it. Dodger operate differently in the water than flashers where speed isn't as critical.
  16. I had a couple of them which Andy replaced the drags with carbon fiber a few years ago and they work very acceptably and definitely better than the original drags. I only use the setups on the Finger Lakes and for leadcore with walleyes but they work very acceptably. By the way, when he went over the reels and replaced the drags the reels came back to me in close to brand new shape despite their age and the cost was very reasonable and quick turn around time. Might be worth just having a couple done and see what you think
  17. Very enjoyable Pete. Keep up the good work! Nice to see someone having fun out there and it demonstrates that you don't need all sorts of fancy trolling equipment to have a good time
  18. You've got your priorities right We see a lot of negative stuff on the TV and news but this is the real stuff America is made from.....helping each other in need.
  19. Nice work and I think your " inspector" in the pic gave it a thumbs up too
  20. Sk8man

    Silver lake

    Just don't get your food mixed up
  21. Good luck....I hope I'm wrong.....but last year they clogged up our downrigger wires so bad the weights couldn't be retrieved right about now....be interesting to see how you make out.
  22. I think that they are there and probably large concentrations out there but the lines most prone to them seem to be lines running laterally (horizontal) and moving through large sections of the water column. Copper setups if running the braid backing just below the surface seem much less prone than other stuff where braid is run further out into the water column and riggers and wire rigs seem to readily accrue it and probably part of it relates to there being a lot of line out at an angle in the column. The flea concentrations seem to vary throughout the lakes and within the water column in those lakes. My hunch is that if you were to talk with folks that were trolling for good distances with riggers, leadcore, and braid they'd be complaining about the fleas. The fishook type seem to be more of a pain to get off too. Although the concentrations seem to vary from lake to lake and within the lakes they don't usually disappear until the water temperature gets down below 60 or so toward or in early Fall.At least that is what I have experienced with them thus far.
  23. Real good summation. go with the flow and don't try to fight Mother Nature
  24. It uses a special coated cable according to the literature from the company https://kelloutdoors.com/products/drx-10-speed-and-temp-system
  25. Ben ....like minds
×
×
  • Create New...