Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Usually you'll see lakers deep and near bottom near bait which is also usually bottom oriented as well within that 150-200 ft range but you'll also find a few very large lakers in shallow water competing with large pike for whatever they can find there e.g. small perch, sunfish, rockbass and more. They are pretty much scavengers when cruising in shallow and I have never caught a small laker in the shallows at this time of year just big ones and I think it is because the bigger lakers can compete with the pike while the smaller ones could be considered "bait". The browns, landlocks and rainbows can be scarce about now at the north end but sometimes they can be found around the mouth of the outlet at Dresden and in the southern parts of the lake out from stream mouths especially. Slower trolling with heavier lures or spoons that "wobble" (e.g. Daredevels) often take the bigger pike and lakers about now.
  2. I think the one in Mass is good for only two years unless they have changed and has to be renewed then and Mass is one of the states that imposes a mandatory jail sentence if you don't have one.
  3. Thanks Mike.
  4. Very nicely done! The bluffs are exceptionally interesting because they are ever changing with the wind and moisture sculpting it all the time. I used to do photography and have photographed nearly every place there and each time it has been different so that in any painting or photo things will look slightly different and if long periods of time elapse the entire landscape is transformed.....really cool and she captured it beautifully.
  5. Anyone out there thinking about a guide trip on Canandaigua I'd be checking out Paul as he is a very knowledgeable fisherman with a real nice new boat and he has a handle on the lake as good as anyone out there.....it would be money well spent
  6. Around here if you had a 16 inch Crappie it would be on the wall
  7. When I bought my boat I had them install 4 plug in receptacles and I have never regretted it. Although I usually use just 2 or 3 downriggers I can relocate them anywhere in the existing 4 gimbal mounting holes giving a lot of flexibility in how I run different setups. The receptacles fit the connectors very snugly so there is never a problem with the connection and the downriggers run from a separate battery run through a 30 amp breaker. Tip: When you change the connections at the motor end make sure the wires go exactly as the old ones or the polarity will be reversed.
  8. You have to wonder with the weather we've had for awhile if the lakes being taken down as a precautionary measure (routinely done each year as flood reduction/prevention) might end up being a mistake this year as with minimal to no snow and if things continue this way and then the Spring is drier than usual we could be in for a "troubled" fishing ans launching season. Lets hope things"normalize" soon
  9. Sean I believe that the Utah license covers 32 states and you have to attend a one day class and then apply for the permit to Utah. You do have to double check each state in your route though because in many if you do not have a permit for that state you can't even have a handgun locked in a lockbox locked in your trunk and be legal and in many states such possession carries a felony status charge and in some it is mandatory jail time.
  10. Sounds a little off price-wise because the cable kit (with disconnects) alone that you want is about $54.00 plus shipping from Fish307.com. They are very easy to install....just closely observe and or mark where the wires attach inside. You may need to reseal things with silicone after and instead of drilling out the hole for the new plastic grommet fitting that the wire runs through I just used silicone to seal the existing hole up (is somewhat pliable etc.) and after a few years now no problems whatsoever. http://www.fish307.com/cannon-mag-10-downrigger-parts-pre-2006-models/
  11. Hey Mike You may want to double check with Fran Barrett about the resin and materials just to make sure before going too far with things if you're unsure. He really knows his stuff.
  12. Nice going Paul. This weather has been unreal for this time of year hasn't it? I'm not sure what to make of the difference in depth markings unless maybe the display (LCD graph part) screen rewrite wasn't "catching up" at that point with the digital component for some reason (temp?)
  13. First of all there are different types of planer boards the big boards use a mast in the front or perhaps on the sides of the hard top on a boat (and use different releasing methods) while the inline boards which you have indicated are run directly from the line on your rods. Although they can be run to be released from the tension devices on them I run my inlines with the tension cranked down to the maximum and then bring the boards in manually and detach them from the line and then bring in the fish and net it. Before attempting to run more than one set of boards make sure you are VERY familiar with the initial set that you start out with as you could be in for some real annoying and potentially expensive messes as there are some sequences for letting them out and resetting them that work a lot better than others I'd suggest looking at Youtube videos and/or get together with someone who is already using the boards and see how they do it .
  14. I think that captures the scene thus far real well Kev. I've had all my stuff ready since October and it looks as though I may be ready for the 2017 season now
  15. Flags are useful on ANY planer boards as they aid in being seen by other boats especially in choppy water. It isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling having your boards run over I made the ones on all my boards rather than buying though.
  16. Kevin you couldn't ask for a better present than that one for XMas Congratulations!
  17. Justin is one heck of a fisherman and sportsman and for anyone out there considering fishing for the eyes, tigers and smallies on Otisco this is the guy you want to be out there with
  18. Alex you have a PM
  19. I omitted mentioning that I sent one of my reels to Tuna Tom completely disassembled
  20. The thing that is worrisome is that the ticks may be coming a lot closer too.
  21. This certainly has been one of the more informative as well as entertaining posts I've seen I'm already struggling with that image of Ray
  22. Yeah Brian....when you get enough in your system the ambient temperature displays on your butt
  23. John if you don't need too many done it is very reasonable to have Tuna Tom do them. He carries the Dragmaster carbon fiber drags. They are great to work with and the turn around time is excellent too.
  24. I think you'll love them (the drags)
×
×
  • Create New...