Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Thanks Jim I was wondering if anything happened south of me and you answered that real well. had to laugh about your comment regarding the girls checking for invasive species.....I said about the same to the one at the north end..."kinda like trying to deal with something when the horse has not only been out of the barn but out for many years" her response was "I need to see if there are any mussels on your boat to try to prevent them from being taken to Honeoye". I too was thinking about pulling rigs but the stiff north wind eliminated that thought quickly once I got to Vine Valley I encountered some light fleas on the leadcore but this morning the real pain was the long thin green grass strands that got into everything....didn't see much of it south. Some sticks floating out there too as well as some dead warm water species of fish.
  2. Went solo starting at 5:50 AM to get the jump on the recreational boaters, sailboats, and jet skis So much for that theory once I stayed again for the afternoon freaking sailboat ran across my lines Started at the water plant again and went with 2 downriggers with sliders and a 6 color leadcore....trolled for 2 1/2 hrs at north end back and forth caught one poor laker and then not even legally....guess he had a worse day than me...but he took off afterward OK (see pic). Long story shorter...I trolled all along the east side from across from water plant to Vine Valley cut across to the condos and trolled entire west side back to north end from 50 ft - 257 ft and marked a few bait pods but only 3 fish on the screen during the whole time....unreal! Quit at 4 PM. Pretty discouraging screens no matter where I went other than a few fish near the water plant early AM. Tried about 60 plus spoons, coppers, dipsies with all sorts of combos rocking the boat and about everything else I could think of but nothing worked for me today.
  3. I think Mike was born with that copper in his hand Nice going bud.
  4. Sk8man

    Seneca 6/25/2015

    I think they might be filled with dog snacks too
  5. Sk8man

    Seneca 6/25/2015

  6. Sk8man

    Seneca 6/25/2015

    I was surprised not to see Kinger in the driver seat Ed He didn't look too excited
  7. WTG Paul Nicer bow for Canandaigua too.
  8. Used to be a way of doing it here in NYS but not advisable anymore because of the bait regulation restrictions.
  9. Yeah Mark and the drag can be a problem too when you catch your thumb in it.
  10. Mark uses one of those orange colored ones that you roll up electrical cord on
  11. You know what they say about poking the bear with a stick.....better not antagonize him too much....probably has some secret weapons stored up
  12. I've had my downriggers for a very long time and never have had a problem with them other than the older power cords cracking all to hell making them dangerous. I replaced them twice with same result over the years. The older ones deteriorated from sun exposure and UV damage. These new power cords are made from different material and even after a few years with them they are still like new and they are much more ruggedly built with better connectors (and they should be for the $65 each but in my opinion they are worth it).
  13. Yeah Dave you have to watch out for those potential headbutts from a low angle
  14. You're very welcome shinintimes I know you'll be happy with them and Fish307 has always treated me right. Good luck! P.S. Just make sure not to reverse the polarity when you install the cord
  15. Tyee has it exactly right although you can get away with either a 2 or 3 setting on the outside one and my inside one is a 124 mm Deeper Diver set to 0
  16. http://www.fish307.com/cannon-downrigger-part-3883220-cannon-retro-power-cable-kit/ Not real cheap but they are real sweet and will last (high quality) I replaced each of mine with them.
  17. The one that came with the combo the Lake Insight Pro map. I haven't used it much as I am so familiar with the places I fish that I really don't even need the depth finder to estimate the depth anymore.
  18. Looks like Sheila got to the rod quicker than you again Dave....better practice up Nice one!
  19. I forgot to mention something Monday that could be useful info for folks that fish Canandaigua. During the AM up to about 1 PM I noted fish and bait clouds in spots as noted in the screen pics above but when I returned to those exact spots later in the day I didn't mark ANYTHING at all. It seemed to prove the often said thing about the effects of boat traffic as there were all sorts of rec boats and especially jet skiers out there in the general areas. It may be advisable to get an earlier start and then quit earlier to avoid some of the yoyos
  20. It is almost always a "trade off" as far as rigger placement and number used (e.g. 3 vs. 4 etc.) and the corners usually give you a little better variety of angles to choose from (using swivel bases) whereas the side placements are easier to get to and usually easier on the back. It is one of the reasons I have the 4 gimbal mounts ( two recessed near the corners and 2 more toward the seats) so I can switch around my rod holders and the riggers to suit the conditions and whether I'm fishing solo or not as well.
  21. Even on the zero setting the divers can be all over the place.....I just run the coppers (one at a time ) there
  22. I think Mark has a few moments to himself while waiting for folks to unload the truck
  23. Man Mike....sorry to hear about your motor problem but great to hear there are still good samaritans out there and that things turned out OK Also sounds as though you were sitting on a "time bomb" that could have gone off in a lot worse places (e.g. middle of Lake O somewhere) Best of luck with the new retrofit.
  24. Frogger's setup works VERY well cfindlay and in my view it is about as good as it gets in an 18-20 footer. Whatever you decide to do in the way of "specifics" of placements (e.g. rod holders, downriggers etc.) make sure you take the time to actually get in the boat with the specific tackle you'll be using in them and do a "mock up" with them. Sometimes you can avoid some real pain in the A problems such as things being in the way of each other or certain places better than others BEFORE drilling holes and actually installing anything.
  25. The first and second week of July has nearly always been real good for silvers for me there so I guess that may be the telling thing....I'm hoping it is just that things are behind....the bait being in shallow still suggests that.
×
×
  • Create New...