-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Best Hooks for Moonshine, Cleos etc?
Sk8man replied to Joker Products's topic in Tackle and Techniques
Should be OK then as long as it isn't off to the side -
Best Hooks for Moonshine, Cleos etc?
Sk8man replied to Joker Products's topic in Tackle and Techniques
Yes but you have to make sure the ring closes fully and that it makes a full "circle" (and not off to the side but fully closed) -
Best Hooks for Moonshine, Cleos etc?
Sk8man replied to Joker Products's topic in Tackle and Techniques
I'd try replacing the split rings with a size smaller to see if that helps -
Best Hooks for Moonshine, Cleos etc?
Sk8man replied to Joker Products's topic in Tackle and Techniques
I'm not sure how what you are describing is happening. I never have any problems with the Mustad siwash salmon hooks. I also orient my hooks with the point facing upward unlike a lot of folks and maybe that is the difference. -
Best Hooks for Moonshine, Cleos etc?
Sk8man replied to Joker Products's topic in Tackle and Techniques
It can happen but I've never had it happen any where near that frequently and it is quite a bit easier to release fish without even handling them with singles (long nose pliers twist the hook back through under their weight and they fall off the hook and take off. -
Best Hooks for Moonshine, Cleos etc?
Sk8man replied to Joker Products's topic in Tackle and Techniques
I use singles for everything except stick baits and trolling flies and have done so for many many years successfully. -
-
Best Hooks for Moonshine, Cleos etc?
Sk8man replied to Joker Products's topic in Tackle and Techniques
I changed all mine over to Mustad Siwash 2/0 and 3/0 triple or 5 x stainless hooks a long time ago and have never looked back.They penetrate deeply and are verysharp and strong. The advantage of a single in my opinion is that it doesn't work against itself like trebles do when the fish bite down...the singles penetrate right through the mouth or jaw and there is nothing for them to work against with their mouth or jaw. I have never had one bend or break on a fish. I'd use 1/0 or 2/0 for smaller Cleos etc. -
-
I believe this is what you are talking about. I've used one for the past 5 or 6 seasons and it truly is "the cats ass". You need a very powerful drill (I use a Bosch 18 volt 1/2 inch Lithion Hammer Drill with a 7 inch lazer auger). The 8 inch auger will work but you won't get quite as many holes per battery. Tip: keep the batteries warm in your pockets or jacket and they will last a lot longer. I always carry the spare but have never needed it thus far even for over 50 holes. I have never used it in more than 8-10 inch ice either.....
-
browns in spring!
Sk8man replied to ironanglerx2's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
"is that 150 to 200 feet of copper out or down." - out When I think of browns in the Spring (regardless of where) I think light line (12 lb test) mainline and a 10 lb fluoro leader about 20 ft long with a very small black ball bearing swivel tied into the leader about 4 ft up from the lure and the lure connected by a very small duo lock snap for spoons and sticks alike. Sometimes a couple large size split shot placed a few inches above the swivel (toward the rod side) above helps to keep things down a bit and also may keep grass from the lure especially with jointed Rapala type lures. Forget the split shot in real shallow (less than 6 or 8 ft.). Run your lines as far away from the boat as practical (e.g. depending on boat traffic etc.) or run on boards out long and constantly move them in and out along the shoreline. Run your stuff right up near the shoreline when conditions permit (light levels, wind direction, boat traffic, or obvious snags etc.)Try to find the warmest water you can. Fish your stuff in and out of any mud lines or "scum lines" and fish the inside edges of any thermal bars you encounter. Look for birds and bait and fish there back and forth. Continually monitor and modify your boat speed and try different things like "s" turns start and stops (when out deeper or using just floating lures), and even rock your boat back and forth if in a smaller one to impart different action to your lures. With downriggers use longer leads than usual when in shallow (e.g. 50 ft or more back) -
At the top of my list were the following: Pirate 28 - black with glow ladderback and white underside (Lake O) Great Lakes 44 - purple and black with black underside (Fingers and Lake O) Great Lakes 44 - silver with diagonal two tone green tape (Finger Lakes) Great lakes Silver Soldier with diagonal silver prism tape and orange painted underside (Lake O and Finger Lakes) Home made Sk8man spoon blue and silver (Finger Lakes) Quick Strike 11 - hammered silver (Finger Lakes)
-
Cuomo to sign SAFE ACT 2 if re-elected. We Better get out and VOTE!
Sk8man replied to DJ 17's topic in Big / Small Game
-
Lost my son, friend, and fishing buddie
Sk8man replied to quality time's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Wes - our deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family. It sounds as though Ben had a full life and that you shared some very enjoyable and important quality time together doing something you both loved. Your post is an inspiration to the rest of us to make the most of our time together with our loved ones and friends....Thanks for sharing the pics they are real good reminders of what is really important in life. Les -
Canon Digitroll TS 10 problems
Sk8man replied to SmellsLikeFishNH's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
I'll still go with the problem being with the internal board's interpretation of the data coming from the transducer rather than the transducer itself. My hunch is that because the problem is similar for others it may be inherent in the hardware (board design) too if there isn't software update capabilities. I'll be surprised if it turns out to be the transducer since most are primarily "conduits" for receiving the signal transmission rather than "interpreters" of the data per se. -
finger lakes lake trout
Sk8man replied to steelydan's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Usually around November is the main spawning but right about now there may well be some in shallow water if you know where to look -
Cuomo to sign SAFE ACT 2 if re-elected. We Better get out and VOTE!
Sk8man replied to DJ 17's topic in Big / Small Game
In this case the effective part of voting him out of office is to send a message to him and his cronies that if you let power go to your head and you implement things against the will of the people and trample on their individual rights you will pay the price. This should extend to all lawmakers that voted for the SAFE Act. It is the only message corrupt incompetent officials understand and it may make the next in lines a little more reluctant to follow suit. -
I'm switching over my coppers to 32 next season. The 45 is a bit "clunky" in my view and you can get more of the 32 on a reel. Most of my use of coppers is on the Finger Lakes so I think the 32 is more practical there and although the 45 braided may resist kinking a bit better I am very used to using thinner copper so I shouldn't have problems with it. I use clip or slide weights to get extra depth anyway when I desire it.
-
I didn't know Jim but as a fellow Viet Nam era vet I have a deep respect for him as it was not an easy time to be in the military. Sounds as though he was a great guy and certainly one I would have connected with had we met RIP.
-
Yes Sean it probably is the difference in formatting. It also happens sometimes when and SD card is formatted on PC's and then tried in a digital camera (especially if formatted on a MAC) and the camera doesn't understand it and kicks out an error message or else says the card is empty because it can't read that format. Always try to format a card on the device that it is intended to be used on.
-
Cuomo to sign SAFE ACT 2 if re-elected. We Better get out and VOTE!
Sk8man replied to DJ 17's topic in Big / Small Game
-
CUOMO TO SIGN SAFE ACT 2 if re-elected. We Better get out and VOTE!
Sk8man replied to DJ 17's topic in Open Lake Discussion
I just got off the phone with one of his re-election people seeking my vote I gave him a piece of my mind and ended it with "I don't vote for emperors or dictators". -
Thanks John. Had a wonderful trip out west, Didn't get to fish for tuna this time because my buddy's mother-in-law died so maybe next time. I know what you mean about the water level over there....a couple years ago we barely made it out of the launch at Sodus near Arney's (especially where guys had "power loaded"). I imagine guys are fishing for the perch in the bay around now but a bunch are probably after the ducks and bow hunting. One of the reasons I gave up hunting....pretty much have the lakes to yourself at this time of year








