Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. These situations are always a "mixed blessing". The cormorants are very bad polluters of water (feces) and they eat massive amounts of bait as well. They are hated in most salt water environments and places with fresh water ponds such as Cape Cod. Sometimes they mess up the pond water so bad that swimming is about impossible.
  2. Great going! A lot of guys have fished for years without catching one of those big boys. You may have people following you around if you tell them you're going camping again
  3. You might also want to keep in mind that on most of the Finger Lakes many smallmouth bass suspend during Summer and Fall and frequently appear as rainbows when we are thinking "trout" and they usually don't respond well to the spoons. Sometimes you can test out by running a 4 inch Rapala like stick bait in with your spoons (e.g. onmain downrigger line with a small cheater spoon above it and they may grab it and if rainbows they may as well. I use 8 ft long sliders nearly all the time and usually run the main line spoons about 30-50 ft back this time of the season.
  4. It is one thing to be a good fisherman but quite another to couple it with being a masterful artist....once again Paul your creations are world class!
  5. A kind of funny story goes along with the elk pics. A big bull elk (second pic) was watching over his "ladies" and younger elk and about 25 yds away there were two young males jousting with their racks intertwined....so like most young guys trying to impress the ladies they wandered a bit closer to the "ladies"....the big bull elk took one look and herded his females together and then started after the young males bellowing loudly. The males actually had a real scared look on their faces and one actually took a crap and they took off running at full speed....sort of as if they had encountered the ladies "weight lifter" dad. It was funny as hell to watch
  6. You're very welcome....just to give folks an idea of what things look like out there if you haven't had a chance yet.....(unreal stuff)
  7. Just returned from drive out west to the west coast and got some pics of elk and prong horns in Colorado along the way so for those folks who haven't seen them before....
  8. Tim is right.... "slow" and "down" are the keys to it. if fishing from land. Sometimes when trolling it from a boat tying in a small ball bearing swivel about 2 1/2 to 3 feet above it and tying the line directly to the lure can give it a more natural appearance (action) too. The larger sizes can be good for jigging by adding some of the "V" shaped imitation pork rind pieces used on bass lures
  9. Thanks Justin….I wish I had brought a rod but probably wouldn't have had time. Kind of funny though today I was at the big dam at Grand Teton National park and I noticed a couple guys get out of their truck with rods and immediately go downstream and when I walked across the road I noticed a sign saying that it was NO FISHING in the Park after October 1st but those guys were long gone to warn and then when we were back on the road I saw a ranger heading for the dam Heading for Bryce Canyon Utah tomorrow AM for 2 days then on to Sedona Arizona for a couple more….it is incredible out here. I've flown over it before but never did it by car…unreal! Looks as though ALL the trout are stocked around here though. Good luck fishing guys….
  10. Congrats to Brian, Mike and Jason - Seems kinda strange looking at this posting....I'm sitting here at the Teton Village hotel (near Jackson Hole) at the foot of the Teton mountains in Wyoming after putting about 2500 miles on the car in the last few days and spending time in Indianapolis, Lincoln Nebraska, Denver, Boulder Colorado... and although this place is incredibly stunning....I'm still missing fishing....watched some guys landing a pretty good trout (couldn't tell what kind) today on the way (fly fishermen) on one of the rivers and I felt like...where the hell is my rod . Oh well, have to wait until I return from LA in a week or so. Hopefully the fishing on both Canandaigua and Seneca will be better by then. Those great lakes lures work great too Breadman....you'll be glad if you get them. Best luck to you guys. Les P.S. You bow hunters would have a field day here...the elk are all over the place and prong horns too....no big horn sheep yet but tomorrow probably
  11. Yes Andy is a great guy and they do a real nice job on the drags as well as being terrific to deal with.
  12. Thanks Ted. Good luck out there with the fishing.
  13. Try this place http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=7896&familyName=Evercoat+Two+Part+Foam
  14. That is a real substantial mount Ralph and it is what I'd be thinking about if I had an aluminum boat
  15. It is too bad Ted but I think things seem to be running behind this season out there and maybe rescheduling for later in the month if possible might get more interest and involvement....the fleas and grass have really put a damper on things recently. If it is rescheduled and I'm back from the west coast I'd certainly be interested. It is my favorite time of the season Oct going into Nov but I don't hunt anymore either :>)
  16. http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2014/09/30/bald-eagles-birds-animals-science-british-columbia-fishing/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20141001ngnw-eaglerescue&utm_campaign=Content
  17. It is the one I use Jason and mine runs .2 slower than my GPS so it is pretty close....but of course it isn't speed at the ball
  18. Ed is right the wind will be blowing right toward the chute and although "doable" it isn't much fun fighting the wind out off the east side when it is blowing like that. Launching from Severne you'd be able to hug the west shoreline for a little more protection if it stays westerly. Often though when it starts out SW it changes to due S and if 20 or above hold on to your hat
  19. Yeah.....Kinger has been hanging out with Ed so much he is beginning to sound just like him
  20. Good report and nice coloration on the bow.
  21. Time very well spent Sean the fishing stuff will be there long term the opportunities to connect with kids evaporates quickly and it needs to be maximized whenever the opportunity presents itself.Your priorities are certainly where they should be and....you haven't missed much out there either.
  22. Lately it has been a tough day that the "fishing office" for most of us and the weeds sure don't help out either. Hopefully the water temps will drop soon and with it the fleas. The weed situation is another matter....I don't remember it being this bad for so long and it doesn't appear to be getting better. I'm hoping that when I return from out west in a couple weeks things will be back to the normal Fall fishing but a lot will depend on cool nights, precipitation and wind velocity and direction and we all know how much control we have over that stuff I'm crossing my fingers you find some "bald spots" in the weed fields Mike. Good luck out there.
  23. Especially on Seneca Thanks Sean he is a great guy and is retired from there now. I hope all is well now with your stuff and that the fishing has been treating you well also.
  24. That is good news Kyle. Thanks.
  25. Cool! by the way did you ever get that football out that he ate?
×
×
  • Create New...