Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Sean you hit on a great topic and nobody is offended. I think it is important to discuss this type of thing as many of the folks who run these businesses are "our" folks and these big store chains have pushed out many small businesses narrowing considerably the variety of products available and basically doing away with the personal aspects of doing business. Most of the clerks in the bigger chains barely look at you (if at all) and if asked 30 seconds after you left for a description of you they wouldn't know whether you were male or female let alone anything else. Fishy and Mike (Hills valleys and Streams) and Jason (Great Lakes Lures) are very experienced competent fishermen aside from their business relationship so there are important things to be gained from interacting (e.g. information, tips, suggestions) not just a matter of handing somebody a credit card or cash and walking away. This is the kind of thing that is vitally important in today's fast paced and highly impersonal environment.
  2. I feel the same about Hills Valley and Streams.....I am seldom down that way but if so I will surely frequent it. Some of my friends have done business there and all good reports. These are the kind of businesses we need to support. The buyers for a lot of the big stores have probably never had a rod in their hand (or at least not a fishing rod)
  3. Fishy is dead right.....and for a small business he has the right approach...and we do need to support that ...not the "Ganders of the world.... he stocks the stuff that fishermen actually use because he is a good fisherman himself. I highly recommend anyone to check out his store over near the Keuka State Park. He also has a good stock of Honey bee lures that are very hard to find these days and are deadly on browns.
  4. I wouldn't waste any money on lottery tickets though
  5. Jason, They look like a great substitute for the now long gone Pfleuger #4' s and Ace #4 (Pfleuger look alike). There is nothing like the joy of hooking a big one jerking copper on bottom and feeling that head shaking on the way up and never knowing for sure if you'll be able to get them to the net. Whether it is pulling straight copper wire or a victrola rig those spoons look like "the nuts" and at a very reasonable price. Les
  6. I run mine on various 8 ft. downrigger rods...the flexible tip gives things some action and yet the base has enough backbone when fighting them.
  7. Good news and great to know that there still are some honest good folks out there....too often you hear the opposite.
  8. Happy Birthday Dick...and many happy returns. I think you made the right choice today too.....the same one I would have made have to take advantage of things before the weather turns sour (soon)
  9. "We the people" now reads "We the sheeple" When I enlisted in the military at age 18 just as Vietnam was starting up I was proud to be a "New Yorker" and represent our state but today I am ashamed and embarrassed to be living in this police state where the Constitution is viewed as an irrelevant document and greed and personal power and political ambition are the name of the game. Eastern Idaho is looking much more promising right now.....
  10. I hope to God we can get this tyrant out of office before everyone has to move out of state....down state and NYC is where the true problem liesin terms of getting him out
  11. WTG Mike . Great account of things too.....the hair on my neck was standing up just listening
  12. WTG Justin and John! Another good example of how great it is connecting personally with folks on this website right?
  13. Just saw this and thought it was quite appropriate
  14. Just a thought but you need to keep waders and rubber products away from natural gas sources (e.g. cellar furnace etc.) and extreme heat sources when storing or rubber products will break down.
  15. I gave up hunting in 1972 in the days of the recurve and after the slugs were whizzing around my head near the High Tor area but I still get a kick out of talking hunting with my buddies and it is really good to see some of the comments on this post regarding giving back, and encouraging the younger generation to get involved in hunting and conservation. I also think dawsonscreek has his head in the right place too. You do have to stop and smell the roses. The older you get the more you appreciate being able to actively participate in the sports you love and there is no better feeling than passing on the interest, skills, and informational knowledge to younger folks or novices so that they can accelerate the learning curve and have more time to experience the full blown sport itself.
  16. Nice going John . Must have been a bit nippy out there Interesting the landlock was down 130 ft....must have been chasing the bait deep...
  17. Chuck I'll take it. Let me knoiw where you want to meet up
  18. Ivan - you cleared it up for me....no offense taken and your point is well taken. The muskie fishery is a very different 'animal" in that sense than most and I fully agree with your second post. Thanks. Les
  19. "No offense intended, but if you aren't a serious, dedicated muskie angler, you probably don't have enough personal investment and experience to understand." Ivan - I'm pretty certain that many if not most of the anglers on this site fish for a variety of species and although exclusive muskie fishermen probably already know how to release fish in general there are many anglers that are new to or perhaps inexperienced in catch and release that frequent this website. My comments/suggestions were directed primarily to them. To infer that because someone does not fish exclusively for muskies they wouldn't "understand" is rather elitist. I know they are relatively uncommon, elusive and difficult to consistently catch and that they require somewhat different "handling" techniques (even just because of their teeth ) but the things I suggested are generally appropriate for ANY freshwater or salt water species.
  20. I think the answer resides in yourself. You do what is best for the fish and its survival given the conditions at hand. As long as you have done your best to accomplish that it doesn't matter what others say. Every situation is different the basic thing is to not handle (or manhandle) fish any more than absolutely necessary and to avoid placing them in known detrimental positions ( e.g. hands or fingers in the gill area, held vertically, or held for inordinate amount of time out of water) and gently allowing the fish to sufficiently recover before releasing them in the water. I try to never actually touch fish unnecessarily if they are small and release them with needle nose pliers applied to single hooks and if holding fish I support them underneath and hold above the tail while keeping them horizontal.
  21. The answer to the first part of your question is a definite YES! I don't fish out of Mexico but it doesn't really matter because whether theFinger Lakes or Lake O the lakers are in shallow water in the early Spring and they can be fished successfully there nearly anywhere they exist. Cowbells with peanuts or wobble trolls (spin n glows) are just the ticket usually. They also go for spoons or sticks and meat rigs especially.. Lakers are bottom oriented fish usually so fish them that way. Flashers or spinneys and fly also work pretty well right through the summer months and into Fall but the lakers will move out deeper in late Spring. Find the bait and you will usually find the lakers nearby. Frequently they like slower trolling speeds than many of the other target species but I've also had them hit at near 3.0 so vary your trolling speed.
  22. Probably more likely stuff being fenced for drug money for meth or heroin
  23. Sean - Chris is100 percent correct and being the good parent you are your priority is exactly where it should be - with your child. These ticks are a very real problem. These dumb azz deer bed down in my backyard and despite being hit in the butt several times with my bb gun they come back for more....even to the extent of looking in my windows sometimes in the early morning hours. Our dog has very dark multicolored fur which makes it virtually impossible to spot the ticks on him so I can't even take him out back anymore. I hope all the deer hunters around here are VERY successful this year. About once per week someone nails one on the road here with their car so that is surely some indication of the population density. As much as I hate to say it I'm almost praying for a severe winter with real deep snow
  24. Thanks guys. Ted- one of my buddies was out there too for the last time of the season before going to Florida for the winter and he caught 2 lakers and he is a real good rainbow guy who trolls faster than me usually . The bows were pretty elusive today and that spoon/250 copper seemed to be the main ticket to work. I had some electrical problem such that I wasn't able to use downriggers at all today.....good thing I always carry a bunch of different rods to "switch it up" I think perch will be on the agenda next time out.....can't always count on ice fishing for them....57 degree surface temp today for much of the lake.
  25. a little bow action. Trolled south from the water plant to Cooks pt on west side with my son Mark then then back north to Seneca Pt. marked a lot of bait down south in 90 - 130 ft and quite a few fish mostly suspended from 70-110 ft. down. Ran 2 coppers off inline boards (200 and 250) out 350 total, (1) 6 color leadcore with numerous small/medium spoons and then a stickbait (no hits at all), (2) wire rigs with spinneys and flashers and flies of various colors at various depths (no hits), (1) braid and mini dipsey with spoon out 180 ft (no hits). Changed out thewire rigs for (2) 5 leader Seth Green rigs with small to medium spoons (one 3 lb laker on orange taped Sutton 44 4th leader down). Took a savage hit on the 250 copper with a taped (orange and green Quick Strike 44 hammered brass spoon - turned out to be 3-4 lb rainbow, then later on same copper with same spoon another rainbow 3 plus pounds. Kept both ( one each) for my son (holding the fish)as his freezer recently crapped out and he lost all his frozen fish. That was it for the fish...but what a day foliage wise....pretty incredible. here are a couple shots (unretouched) so you can see what I'm talking about.
×
×
  • Create New...