-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
I think brown is correct. When you magnify the pic the upper jaw does not go past the rearward part of the eye but is at the end of it and it looks as though the spots aren't throughout the tail (although they don't show up well on the photo and the angle of the dorsal looks more like that of a brown and I think the tail appears more forked than it is because of the position of it. The spot patterning does look much as the landlocks. Where are the fisheries folks? Kevin :smile:
-
I only do it with stickbaits like Rapalas
-
For many lures it seems primarily a preference issue although they are easier to put on a swivel snap in the cold weather . I have them on most of the 1500 or so spoons but there are a few that came without them and I've left them that way
-
There often is slight variation on the size charts of manufacturers (those that provide one) but size 2 or 3 is usually pretty good. There is no way anyone can predict the quality of the brown fishing (or any other species for that matter) but Fairhaven has always been pretty good for browns and baring some drastic weather change that time period should be good for active browns close to shore.
-
-
Any one up for some hot trolling?
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Me too....going to be a long winter I'm afraid.... -
Any one up for some hot trolling?
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Hey Mike.....I think you forgot to take your meds -
-
Would your insurance agent believe you? Video your gear.
Sk8man replied to WillCFish's topic in Tackle and Techniques
I know videos are nice and it is a little more work but still photos of the objects can be easier to deal with when you are trying to itemize and also if you only need to supply part of the photos to validate a claim. It also pays to make copies (e.g. a flash drive) and locate it with a friend or relative outside your home (in case of fire) In fact this is something that is desirable to do with everything in your household. -
I haven't set the hook on trout or salmon in over well 40 years. Gill T is correct. Let them do it themselves (and make sure you have sharp hooks).
-
It isn't a shanty as designated in the DEC regs. They are considered permanent structures usually made from wood and left out on the ice when not in use and could be considered a navigational hazard in the Spring.
-
-
Have to hand it to you have to be pretty hard core to be out in this weather. A lot of times when a major cold front like this comes in they shut down all over (barometric pressure change severe) Agreed on the day of fishing being better than work (only a faint memory now... retired nearly 12 years) There is always next time....
-
-
-
Ahh cool! Real nice eye for Honeoye. I hear ya n the Crappies....they are often hard to locate and then sometimes real finicky feeders as well They are my favorite panfish to catch though and great eating. My hunch is that they are located in the flats between 25 ft or so somewhere near or at the edge of the "hole" and that encompasses a large area so they are probably safe for awhile
-
-
Lake Trout out of Oswego
Sk8man replied to reillym's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
You want the smallest target separation e.g. 3/4 inch you can get and the highest degree of power is desirable as well. Target separation basically refers to the ability of the signal to differentiate between two separate or distinct objects and to be able to display them as such singly (instead of blending them into one signal.
-
-
Just like Tim B I ran 12 lb (Hombre which became Berkley Big Game)on all my rods for everything including kings for many years (Daiwa 47H's with about 500 yds) but with the invasion of the fleas I switched to 30 lb Big Game and Blood Run SeaFlea line and fluoro leaders for spoons during the flea season (Fingers and Lake O)....but for the Spring non-flea season I have downrigger rods setup with the 12 lb test and I leave them that way and switch to the other 30 lb test rods as soon as the fleas start and then switch back when the fleas aren't present in quantity any longer in the Fall
-
-
Hey Sneaky - It's always great to hear fishing results but even better to hear about parents really interacting with their kids outside and away from TV's and video games etc. All three of my kids were introduced to fishing at an early age (my son 2 1/2 yrs. brief ice fishing ) and it is one of the most memorable things in my life and although my daughters outgrew it (once they discovered boys ) my son and I are still fishing partners some 30 years later and one of my daughters is still interested in fishing despite being a "college kid" Keep at it and best of luck.
-
That is what I call walleye fishing! beauties.....










