Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. https://fishhawkelectronics.com/fish-hawk-td/fish-hawk-td/
  2. Depending on the thickness of the ice - snow (especially wet snow and slush on top) has substantial weight and for thinner ice it can be a real factor in integrity. Snow on the ice makes transporting shelters more difficult as well as walking if it is deep or wet. One of the worst factors is that it can disguise unsafe ice areas from detection (e.g. where gas pockets may be or where birds have recently opened up areas and they have refrozen)....can be more prevalent during first and last ice.
  3. Ah OK - then Three Dogs Down gave you a good starting point. If you happen to have a Fishhawk TD you could verify your estimates using the general info he provided.
  4. Slide divers are usually used for stealth (having the lure traveling quite aways behind the diver and boat. For 110 depth you probably don't need stealth so something like a Deeper Diver 124 mm (size#5) or a ringed magnum diver would get you down in that area quite easily and would probably be a more feasible approach. It is kinda like selecting the right tool for the job from the toolbox
  5. Yes the launch and they came out like it was NASCAR or something.....good thing not a lot of kids like usual right there.
  6. 8 inches with about two of snow on top of it Bill
  7. We've been talking a bit about inconsiderate folks but today was a new one for us. We were just getting set up this morning when a bunch of cars came out on the ice for a race and they vibrated the water so much it was coming out of the hole and the transducer float was bouncing almost out of it. So these guys leave so we relocated to the far south end and just get settled and a single car comes on the ice and starts racing 40- 50 mph and skidding etc. He then 'accelerates as he was approaching my son's clam and only missed it my literally inches. From my angle I thought the clam was gone with my son in it. I took a pic on my phone before he actually got there but the license plate wasn't clear. Here is the car and the clam beforehand Honeoye south end) I sure hope this guy isn't contributing to the gene pool.
  8. I have often drilled holes for other people, or let them use the ones I'm not using but asking is certainly a courteous first step. Nobody owns the ice real estate but courtesy is something that seems to be lacking these days. In the distant past I've seen people booed and in one case punched out for being discourteous on the ice; now discourteous things just seem to be considered "acceptable" and nothing is said about it and many folks just don't seem to be learning. The problem is that there are kids and young people out there observing who may continue the practice making it more widespread. Sad.... Congrats longspurs!
  9. And....how about the guys that come up to your holes that you have drilled in preparation for changing holes when one gets slow and folks come along and just start using them despite them being close to your hut etc. ... a little courtesy and manners can go a long way out on the ice.
  10. Normally I run two 30 lb wire 124 mm Deeper Divers to the insides deeper on 1 or 1 1/2 and sometimes run two more to the outside set at 2 1/2 or 3. I use the standard size #1 slide divers selectively and usually in the summer up higher in the water column. Occasionally I put the rings on them to get deeper but it can be a pain to rig them on the spur of the moment. Each type has its place in the arsenal but I use the standard wire divers more frequently and they seem to be more productive during the entire season and are more flexible in terms of changing out diver set-ups as I have numerous setups all ready to go with the flashers or Spinneys already attached to divers and just attach the setups to the swivel to change out. I store the setups in large ziplocks already rigged with their own flies as well.
  11. Blue one looks like a Mora or older Strikemaster
  12. great to hear. Thanks for posting it.
  13. Boy....they look great!
  14. Another good reason to increase speed somewhat on turns
  15. Thanks Bill. Those are some great eating perch Kevin and well worth the time. I'm sure those grandkids will love them
  16. but I'd hate to be the one cleaning them Kev I managed a 7 lb largemouth among the perch today
  17. I wasn't meaning you Scott just explaining the common problem there. I still remember back in the late 60's and 70's when it was just a handful of old timers there and no problems. Now it is like Woodstock and a lot of folks aren't real experienced either.
  18. It is a problem at the extreme south end in front of the launch because some folks set up tip ups across the main beaten down path that doesn't have much snow on it so it is much easier to pull shelters out to fish out in the southwest corner using that route and when it is blocked off it can be a real pain to skirt way around through the snow and rough iced up holes etc. That area has been getting really hammered and mostly dinks in there now and all the sled and auger noise has spooked the good fish out deeper now. A lot of fishing pressure there.
  19. The main parking lot right at the water's edge is usually full and pretty tight Bob but there is also a large parking area before you get to the launch itself and most trailers usually park there Often people drop off there stuff at the waters edge at the launch and park in the larger lot. You'll see whre I'm talking about on the way in.
  20. x2 He keeps his stuff in good shape. I've been happy with what I've bought. very reputable guy.
  21. https://abcnews.go.com/US/coast-guard-rescues-66-people-stranded-ice-wisconsin/story?id=75693847
  22. I guess it doesn't get much better than that all the way around....sweet!
  23. The downriggers slip out and I have 6 Cannon rod holders mounted on tracks to gimbals which I replace the front two of the downriggers normally seldom run four riggers
×
×
  • Create New...