9.9 honda 4 stroke for a kicker

m089221

I have a line on a used Honda 9.9 4 stroke for 1000$  Not sure of the year but looks newer.  My question is that it's a tiller control and I'm going to want to convert it over to a dial throttle for a kicker and hook it up to my main motor for steering.  Any issues using this motor for a kicker or getting a kit to convert it from a tiller to remote.  thanks

no need to do anything with the tiller handle,as long as you can reach it to put it in gear,tie bar to your main motor and a control king for your throttle control and you are all set.also make sure of shaft length that its long enough for your mounting setup.

not that I'm aware of. do you have an outboard or outdrive? it's really easy if it's an outboard. they make several connector rods to connect an outboard to outboard. some are made with threads on the ends so you can cut them to the length if needed you can bend them for a better fit. just do a search for kicker steering kits. or you can check on eBay or Amazon. I even have a brand new Panther steering kit you can have for 22.00 plus shipping,

as for steering for an outdrive to the kicker is a little different. I use an EZ steer kit that has a connector that straps to the kicker and another one that bolts on the outdrive. you want to set the kicker straight and the outdrive straight then measure the distance between the connectors. my rod fully closed was about 1 1/2" short so I turned the clamp on the kicker just enough to fit. but i could have opened the shaft on the rod and matched it up. but i wanted to start with it closed. once you measure get a kit with the fully closed rod as close to that distance as possible without being to long to fit. as long as it's close you will be good to go.

it can be a little shorter but not longer. I use a Panther electric tilt I bought off FB marketplace for 300.00 and I already had the spacer that's also a Panther spacer. with a 3" spacer in front of it so when I tilt the kicker will tilt up and not hit the boat.

does your kicker have power tilt? if not you might think about getting the Panther electric tilt for it. with the EZ steer, you can tilt either motor or outdrive up with it still connected without any problems.

as for the motor, a Honda makes a great motor that should last for years. does it have electric start which will make it much easier to start than a rope start. but before you buy make sure it runs. you can use a set of muffs on a garden hose. you want to open the water all the way up just to make sure it gets enough water while running. it doesn't even come close to the pressure you get running down the lake. make sure water comes out of the pee hole in a good stream. if the stream is weak or not at all take a short piece of .65 to .95 weedeater line and work it in and out of the pee hole line with the motor running. if it stops and doesn't want to go in it's probably blocked. just keep hitting it with the line with the motor running and it should give. if it's open you will probably need a new impeller installed.

you should be able to get your serial number and get a Honda dealer to get the year for you.

Shakemsman,

You said it for sure.  Still not sure how I'm going to mount this kicker as the transom on this boat I'm building is curved on both ends and poses a challenge as to a limited area that I can mount it without interfering with the main motor.  I know there are a bunch of options for mounting and steering a kicker.  I think i might just go to a Marina up around Lake Ontario and have them install it as I feel they see the most of this stuff.  Im in CT and wouldn't bring my boat to any of the marinas around here for a kicker install.  All the marinas around here are Saltwater places and I've never seen a kicker on a boat down here in the salt so I feel they wouldn't have the best solutions to a problem like this