Hi guys, 

Looking to relocate to somewhere along the SLR from North Carolina. Originally from the North East and have fished a lot up there. I am always drawn to the Massena area, does anyone have any input into the best place to be on the river? I am a very passionate ice angler as well! 

Edited by Kade Gewanter

Kade, welcome to the forum.

I set up my first place 20 years ago, good cottage but not a year round home. Built new and moved here full time 11 years ago. I don't think you can miss. I happened to end up in the Alex Bay/Clayton stretch. Lots going on, good cultural scene. Plenty of year-rounders make it relatively easy to find a "social group".

Everything has a downside, and ours is boat traffic during the summer. Lots of cruisers and go-fast boats on weekends. I'm a walleye guy so not a problem for me at 4AM. Also not easy to find a good property at a reasonable price.

If you follow the the pro BASS guys, they prefer to round the corner and head to lake, Henderson Harbor area. 

A good multi-species boat on a trailer opens up EVERYTHING from King Salmon to perch and bullheads.

• Like 1

Hey Prof T, 

Thank you so much for the amazing perspective. I believe you are right that you just can’t miss! 

I think what keeps drawing me to Massena is all the relatively cheap property. However, I am suspecting the cultural scene might be lacking a bit at times. 

How was the walleye season been for you thus far?