Need to see if anyone has had this issue: boat intermittently starts

Fly n Fish

I have a 2000 5.0 Volvo Penta closed loop engine.  The boat was starting intermittently which led me to believe it was the starter solenoid because nothing would happen when i turned the key.  

1. I replaced the starter solenoid it started 20 times no issues

2. I cleaned all the positive and negative connection and dyaeletric greased everything

3. Checked all fuses

4. Put a new starter relay in the engine computer 

5. Changed the ignition switch

6. Bypassed the neutral safety switch

* seems to not start when there is heavy moisture especially after rain.

Boat is currently stuck in Sodus at Katlyn Marine

Anyone seen any issues like this in the past?

Thanks,
Eric 

I think it might be the kill switch for shifting into gear is out of adjustment. try bypassing it and see if it starts. I had trouble with mine because the shift cable had stretched and I had to have a new shift cable installed. took it to a marina and they adjusted the cable and after it started about 3 times it quit starting again. another thing that it could be is the shift box start switch may be bad or the shifter isn't aligning up right. hold the key to start and move the shift handle a bit forward and backward and see if your starter kicks in.

Half spilt it.Hook a test light between starter solenoind and ground.Hold key in start position. If the light lights its the starter. If it doesnt start its something else.Yow can also tap lightly on starter with hammer... Old school...

Thanks for all the advice.  I did replace the starter but was still having the problem.  Had a mechanic look at it yesterday and he said the main wiring harness that connects to te engine was loose.  He re clamped it, cleaned the connections and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Drove it back from Sodus to Rochester this morning.  

1 hour ago, Fly n Fish said:

Thanks for all the advice.  I did replace the starter but was still having the problem.  Had a mechanic look at it yesterday and he said the main wiring harness that connects to te engine was loose.  He re clamped it, cleaned the connections and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Drove it back from Sodus to Rochester this morning.  

GOOD DEAL!!! the simplest things can cause major problems and bad headaches.