Leadcore rod setup

I am considering setting up two leadcore rods with 20 colors each. I would like to add a 10’ section of 30 lb mono at 10 colors, and 15 colors to hook into my offshore boards. This was I would be more flexible on depths I could fish them off of boards.

Any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, FISHIN' ADDICTION said:

i would go copper if your looking for those depths.  the longer the leadcore the less is will fall because of drag. or do 10 color with snap weight but copper would be better

I second this.  Running that much leadcore will definitely lead (no pun intended) to some pretty bad tangles...

1 hour ago, Scalloper 1 said:

I will use the leadcore in Maine in the spring. I don’t want to buy copper rods.

If your married to leadcore, I'd run a 10 color with as big of a drop weight as needed to get to your desired depth. 

• Like 1

Any reel capable of handling 20 colors would be absolutely no fun to use spring fishing in ME. I personally own 4 lead rods of various action and lengths of lead for various seasons.

• Like 1

Great advice all. I picked up two 10 color rods today. And I will add 2oz of weight if needed. I didn’t realize how big of a reel would be needed for 20 colors. I wanted 20 colors to get down to 90-100’ for lakers here in Maine off of boards then my two riggers.

I will use these 10 color with weights to get to 60-64’ off of boards outside my high dipsy