Mounted GPS help needed

tuesday my trusty eagle accunav gave me a ' no signal from transponder ' or something like that ... i turned it on and off a few times, disconnected and reconnected the power feed abd the transponder cable with no luck ... i'm guessing it's toast ...

any recommendations for a decent low cost GPS that will be braket mounted on my dash ... i really only use it to save home port waypoint and fish on waypoints ... don't need or want a bunch of bells a whistles ... simplier is better ...

thanks in advance

Good luck, the only low cost GPS's out there are the hand held's. I've got an Eagle 480 with the GPS that is giving me headaches. I am thinking of buying a 12volt adaptor and using my handheld eTrex. Standalone units are over $500, and they have all the junk that is useless to you and I.

Hey don't feel bad! I had both my GPS's antennas blow this spring along with the internal fuses! I was told it was static electricity that may have done it. Now I have a back up antenna running one of the GPS's while I look for two antennas. I may just have to purchase 2 new GPS's if the price of the antennas is up there. Oh, the depth raider's internal fuse blew too. Basically anything with an antenna took a shot of something!

well, that's not good news ... i was shocked to find there's no 'entry level' units available ... the garmin 430 or 440 is around 375 to 400 ...

i'm going to try and find an antenna but i don't really have much hope ...

i feel a handheld just won't work for us on the boat ... we need the dashboard mount for all to see ...

Cabela's sells those Ram mounts that will fit a lot of handheld units. I have already found the mounts and power cable for my eTrex. I just can't decide if it is worth fixing my GPS/fishfinder unit or just spend 50 bucks and use my eTrex.

I use a Hand held unit as a backup and second reference for speed and location and homing duty. It is a Lowrance H2O color and it works great with a suction cup mount from RAM. Grabs the windshield and stays put. Power cord keeps it going from cig lighter. Small screen but it is a hand held and good for everything including street nav and terrain. SD card capability lets you load top maps and charts. cost still a little around 240 bucks with power cord, mount, and non color unit, found on Bass Pro.

Mark

You guys may laugh at this but when searching the programs offered by Iphone I came across a GPS tracking program and Navionics gold addition. The phone is excellent for a backup system that has become a multipurpose tool. The total cost of the two programs is around $50 each. This helps to defer the big price I paid for this 16 gig model phone. It will actually store charts and way points and can download and upload from my desktop computer.

http://www.inavx.net/

http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-12XG-2

These are the other available down loadable programs with charts.

NOAA

CHS

Maptech

Navionics

NV. Verlag

Solteknik

TRAK Canada