Shimano Tekota reel maintenance - recommendation requested

Good Day, I have a handful of 300lc and 500lc reels that I bought new and have never done any service to in 12-15 years. They have been great! I am feeling the drag is not what it once was and probably a few other things that could use some attention. Anyone have a past history with someone who has had their Tekota's "refurbished" in the past and was happy with the work? I don't mind shipping or dropping off if local. 

Thanks for the feedback,

Dave 

4 hours ago, Netbender said:

Good Day, I have a handful of 300lc and 500lc reels that I bought new and have never done any service to in 12-15 years. They have been great! I am feeling the drag is not what it once was and probably a few other things that could use some attention. Anyone have a past history with someone who has had their Tekota's "refurbished" in the past and was happy with the work? I don't mind shipping or dropping off if local. 

Thanks for the feedback,

Dave 

I used to send my Tekotas to Tunas reel troubles in Michigan when I didn't have time to do them myself. Very happy with the work.

http://www.tunasreeltroubles.com/

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Netbender said:

thanks spoonfed! I was thinking of doing it myself as well. Are there kits to buy or is everything ordered separately? 

Dave

There are drag washer kits that are better than the originals. Also available from tunas called (tournament series drag washers) Rest of the stuff has to be ordered separately. Tunas will replace anything that is worn and send you the old parts with your reel. Just about every reel I sent him he replaced the level wind pawl. Other than that different components on different reels were needed and they come back like new. I have a few sets of drag washers for 600's that I can sell you cheap and I believe they are the same as the 500's. I retired recently from my charter business and sold all my 600's so if they will fit the 500's let me know. I'll take care of you because I won't need them.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Thanks spoonfed, great information. I just sent him email to see if he will be taking my order. Waiting for his response. The web site seems to be outdated a bit. 

side question - does the 600 support 7 color lc well? Thinking of adding one to the collection. 

4 minutes ago, Netbender said:

Thanks spoonfed, great information. I just sent him email to see if he will be taking my order. Waiting for his response. The web site seems to be outdated a bit. 

side question - does the 600 support 7 color lc well? Thinking of adding one to the collection. 

I don't think a 7 color core will go on a 600 with the proper amount of braid backing. For fishing Salmon on Ontario I wouldn't want to run much less that 800 ft of backing and I run 28 lb test core. My 7 colors are on convector 45's. Check the line cap between the 2 and that will give you a better idea.

https://m.facebook.com/people/Mascot-Reel-Service/61551419221216/

Scott left Dreamweaver. He was the general manager there to open up a reel repair business. Check them out he does a great job.

I did all my own Tekota‘s. They’re not hard to do at all a friend of mine put out this YouTube video and does a great job of explaining how to do it.

Edited by pole setter