Cannon Magnum 10 doest do anything

BradNC8914

I recently bought a used Cannon Magnum 10 TSX off FB Market place. The guy said it was left in the shed from the person he purchase his house from. It came with the Down Rigger, adjustable boom and half the wiring to the battery  I just ordered the other of the plug from the battery to the plug. It should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. Unfortunately my impatience got the best of me so wanted to see if it would at least do something when power was added. I tried to run a couple jump wires from one of the boat batteries to the 2 prongs in the plug and got nothing, no click when I pushed the up/down button or even a little spark when I hooked the alligator clips to the 2 prong  plug. I checked the clutch to make sure the wheel turned freely. I then unscrewed the motor plate and the inside looked almost new. I then unplugged both main red and black power wires going directly to the motor and still nothing. No click or even an tiny effort to move. Shouldn't I of heard something with a direct jump to the red and black motor wires? I'm not sure if it mattered but my jump wires are very thin like speaker wire it that matters. Let me know your thoughts.

If I saw the right prices from fish307 it seems like the parts are not that expensive to replace. Circuit board $59.99, Motor $107, Up/Down switch $15, battery plug wire $30. I only paid $150 for it.

Edited by BradNC8914

If the motor has been sitting around for a number of years without turning at all, it is quite possible that it froze up a bit. These motors are basically windshield wiper motors and easy to open and close as long as you keep the brushes in place. I would try carefully  put a visegrip on the shaft and play around a bit to see if it loosens up. If if does, but the motor still does not want to turn when power is put on it. You should just open it (with the help of penetrating oil) carefully so the brushes don't move and see if you can lubricate the shaft and clean the brushes. (There are springs under the brushes)

I made a special tool to put the motor back together. It is easily made of the top of a soup can  or a piece of thin hard plastic that is bigger than the motor, You take tin snips and make a long rectangular cut in the top that is wide enough to allow it  to slide without having to touch the bolts. The cut should be made at he same length as the outer diameter of the motor but the top should still keep its shape. And that 's the tool. When you are done cleaning and lubricating, make sure that the brushes are in place with the springs in proper position, lay the "soup" tool on the motor so everything stays in place and press it down. Now with the tool in place,put the cover back on and screw it down until it touches the tool. Now pull the soup tool out and screw the cover down the rest of the way. All of that is just to keep the spring loaded brushes in place. Don't forget to eat the soup.

Edited by rolmops

Wow, thanks for the in-depth explanation. I’m going to try the plug wire that I ordered first when it gets here then the heavier gauge jumper wire.  Could the motor be frozen if the spool wheel still turns freely? I bet it’s the motor which is why the original owner so easily left it behind in the shed and the new guy took $150 for it. I’ll keep you posted thanks again. Was I right about those motors being around $107$ 

To see if the motor was frozen I took off the motor case cover, then removed the spool reel and tried to move the motor with my hand. Just like "rollmops" said it was frozen solid. Now I just have to find a either an allternater shop or a new motor.

Edited by BradNC8914

Might want to post a picture of the downrigger before you order more parts.  Cannon has made a number of Mag 10 models over the years and it’s not uncommon for descriptions in places like FB to not match the item.  Electrical items usually are non-turnable.