Spoon repaints

So it's time to redo some spoons for various reasons and I like doing it . So I have 20 that I have stripped down to bare . 

So Gambler said to soak them in Acetone . I did that . Some of the paint came right off , some it didn't touch . Some partly and with some steel wool and elbow grease and some silver polish , they are like brand new . 

Now for paint . I'm kicking around getting an air brush . But I don't know what to get or what paint to use . I see on U Tube videos and toutorial . I really want some good glow paint . 

Miss Narby use to be my tape place but that's gone.  I'm hoping there is a good assortment at the Niagara show . 

Edited by HB2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 3:30 PM, HB2 said:

Now for paint . I'm kicking around getting an air brush . But I don't know what to get or what paint to use . I see on U Tube videos and toutorial . I really want some good glow paint . 

I have a Iwata Eclipse that works great. A Neo is a cheaper, good quality starter gun. I would urge you to get a gravity-feed brush. You can get a bunch of accessories at Harbor Freight. Google DIY brush cleaner recipe and use a ketchup/condiments squirt bottle from Walmart with q-tips (buy the big box) to clean your gun. 

I use Createx paint. Good gow paint is difficult to find and can be hard to shoot due to it typically being thicker than regular paint. I have tried the craft stuff, but it is a PITA to thin it. There is also glow powder that you can mix in the paint. I just buy glow spoon blanks from LPO and paint over them. Be sure to set each color with a blow dryer (if you are using water based paint). I seal my spoons with a few coats of automotive clear in a rattle can. I got mine at Menard's. Works pretty good.

Would second the madriver recommendation. Carl is a good guy to work with. He has an eBay store. Has all sorts of spoon tape - UV, glow, real fish, etc. Lure Parts Online also has spoon blanks, tapes and ladder backs. 

Edited by VanderLaan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...