Fish whenever you can. Folks will often talk about a mid-morning lull, but we've seen strong bites in the late morning / early afternoon hours that have produced some great kicker fish during tournaments for us and (mainly) folks we know well lol...and it seems like our evenings generally start with a bang, getting right on fish at 4 or 5 pm. Full moons will often be accompanied by a killer mid-day bite. But don't overthink it; just fish.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

Totally agree with Gator.  I was out a few times last year where I set lines around noon and got on mature kings immediately.  These were mostly last minute trips where it was real nice out and I just wanted to get on the water.  I didn't really care if I caught fish on these days which may have played a factor, but I did pretty well most of the time.  Ill be doing a lot more afternoon fishing this year myself.

Out of all the variables you can control, the most important is lure time in water!

As mentioned above, fish when you can and don't overthink it!

I have had some terrific mid-summer bites between 5pm-9pm as I increased the frequency I fished late.  Here are notes I keep for myself….

I have done best over 200-300 early in the evening and moved in as time went, normally finishing the night over 150’, mostly mature kings, suspended fish in the top 100’, bright to start while I added glow into the spread after 6:00 pm., mix of spoons/flashers, kept one high red spoon as I have taken some large steelies during those times, occasional jumbo brownie late as I get shallower.  

July is when I fish calm evenings.  Have fished June evenings with limited success…. Those are my notes…. I experience either a wide open bite or a grind for 3-5 fish.  That time of day is 5-6 hours after the mid-day bite… kings like to eat.