Custom built rods

Have any of you bought the rod building kits and built custom rods from scratch? I keep looking on the Mud Hole website and I just cant get over the cost of a decent blank. Seems like I could buy a rod cheaper then building one.

Over winter i completed a couple dipsy rods for myself.  partly because i wanted a custom look and feel and partly because i bought two rods a season ago that were way to stiff and heavy (said they were rated for wire). 

It was not to save money, that's for sure.  Time, quality components, time...But i am excited to see how they will hold up OR blow up on kings this year. 

I did a spiral wrap so the wire will be coming off the bottom of the rods when they are pulling and fighting fish.  It may prove to be a fools errand if the transitions get chewed up by the wire.  Expensive mistakes are often unforgettable.

I've built about 15 rods and you will not save money. But you are usually using better components and get exactly what you want. Labor wise they are time consuming unless you are very experienced. The first couple you do are a learning curve. A lot of technique details that need to be learned. If you want custom butt wraps you better have patience to start. Aside from my boat rods I only fish what I built for myself now though. Def satisfaction fishing what you built. First rod I built was a cheap Cabelas UL kit. That rod has caught more fish than I can count. Ugliest damn rod known to man.

• Haha 1

I built about 40 rods in my day . Most pre graphite or it was new , expensive ,and not great. 

I enjoyed doing it and still use my long drift rods to this day . 

I keep wanting to build another but first , you can get any premade   you want . And a custom built is not that much better . Or even worse if you dont set it up correctly with the right components and guide placement etc .

Second , to build a decent rod will be double to quadruple what a premade is. 

Blank 

Handle set 

Guides 

Epoxy

Thread 

Finish 

And non of this is cheap . 

• Like 1

I build about a dozen rods a year. Everything is expensive, particularly if you want a truly custom look. But there are a variety of wonderful blanks to be had in the $50-100 range that meet or exceed most anything in big box stores, and if you aren't looking for titanium silicon carbide guides, then the price to build an everyday stick is more reasonable. In general, I think I spend about $150 for materials to build a quality freshwater rod. 

I am a big fan of North Fork Composites blanks, This is Gary Loomis's "new" company...they are a bit slow in delivery, but the quality is outstanding. Here's an example: they have a Fresh Water FW702-2 (IM) blank (7', 2 power, 2 piece, intermediate modulus) that's my go-to walleye rod priced at $47. Lightweight guide kits can be had for 10-15 bucks. Cork is expensive, but carbon tubes are a great low cost option and feel great in hand. Fuji standard reel seats are under $10. So for less than $100, you can have a really nice custom rod.

Whatever you do, don't spend a fortune on components for your first build. There's a learning curve, as with anything. If you were closer, I'd have you stop over to check out my setup - the passion for building is addictive. Now, if only I didn't give away everything I make - my wife kids me about taking out a storage unit for rods lol. I figure that if somebody is fishing them, then they're serving their intended purpose.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My original thought was, I have probably 18-20 old rods in my shed that I will never use. After seeing how easy it is to strip them down to a bare blank, I figured I would tinker with them and build my grandchildren some basic trout rods with my name on them. I am guessing I may be able to reuse some of the guides and maybe seats. Just to get through the learning curve.

Thank you all for the great advice. I would get pleasure out of catching fish from rods I build, I am just trying to figure out how to match the components and get the rod I am looking for.

Edited by Scalloper 1

The first rods I built many years ago were downrigger rods. I agree 100% that of all the rod types out there, you're not going to save any $ building custom. In fact, likely the opposite. Because of the need to hold up under constant stress, the blanks incorporate glass, which is fairly cheap. And they don't need to be "sensitive". Hence, large scale manufacturers have many inexpensive options that are acceptable for most applications. Custom trolling blanks are the cat's meow, but they are not going to help pay for the kid's college! Nevertheless, as a luxury item, I can't think of much better swag to have on the boat.

There's something magic about catching fish on a rod you built yourself. Last night, I christened a new walleye rod by sticking a ten lber out of the kayak. The thing crushed my jig right at the side of the boat, and I gave myself a black eye trying to get enough torque to set the hook! Now that's how you put a new rod through it's paces!

• Like 1