Looking to fish the Niagara Bar for the first time within the next few weeks.  Any info on what baits to use, depth, starting point, trolling direction, etc..?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, and tight lines

Troll east/west.  If you're on the bar, and you troll north to south, you're gunna have a bad time.  Fish will tell you baits and depth, but you will most likely be running spoon and meat.  If you launch out of the river, head towards red buoy, then troll east.  If you are out of Wilson, choice is yours to head north and troll to Bar or motor. 

The main thing I see newbs get in trouble with while fishing the bar..

- trolling North/South when everyone else is trolling East/West. 
- trying to troll with junk lines and planer boards on the crowded stretch of water from Canadian border to Red Buoy Can

- not realizing the water depth at drop off near red can goes from 60’ to 150’ in 100 yards

- walleye guys thinking they are among walleye trollers and think the can cut across the back of someone’s boat when  everyone has dipsys out. 
- not having a designated driver. Texting or not paying attention will get you in trouble. 
- not pulling off the drop off when fighting a fish ( head North away from the pack when hooked up) 

There will be more room and less trouble in waters East of the red can

Gill-T i completely agree with you, I can't tell how many times we have to deviate our course because someone is not paying attention or think they own the lake.  Being aware of your surroundings in important, and everyone is happy.  We have had guys cut across our lines, cut them, and take our lures.  really ticks me off.

So, troll east/ west, when hooked up Hopefully get hooked up) get the fish out to deeper water.  GOT IT!!  Thanks

Walleyeboyz - Michigan Stingers (green tuxedo, black tuxedo, white, alewife) are solid in the Spring on 15 lb or 20 lb line.  In my 8 or so years fishing the bar (mostly Canadian side) I find that stick baits may be hot very early in the season, but not every year nor every trip.

direct-msss414_ns396.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=: