32lb copper and saltist 40 reels

With the smaller diameter what is a likely out come for copper length with braid backing? This would be for smaller kings out west and occasional Great Lakes salmon, was hoping for 200-250 but that might be a stretch. Thanks.

I used braid backer and got 300’ of copper on the 40’s

I Found a good reel calculator on line, it is an excel format. I used that reel filler for all my reels. The wire was off a little, reel was probably 90% full. All the copper and leadcore were really close to the calculation. I also have a South Chatham reel spooler with a digital counter. Worked out well for me.

Blood run copper

Berkeley big game mono

power pro braid

40’s
Backing Braid 50# 225 yards

50# Mono splice (for release) 5 yards

32# Copper 100 yards (300’)

50# Mono Leader 5 yards

Calculator said reel is 101% looking at it I would say it’s like 97% full.

50’s

Backing Braid 50# 250 yards

50# mono splice 5 yards

32# Copper 133.3 yards (400’)

50# Mono Leader 5 yards

Calculator said reel is 100.20% full. I’d say it’s 100%

• Thanks 1

I run 32# copper on Daiwa 57Lc3bs which is pretty much the same size.  Like it was mentioned above, you can get over 200 yards of cheap 50# braid and 300 ft of 32# copper on there.  You can probably get close to 300 yards of backer if you went down to 40# and ran a thinner braid like power pro.

When I dont know the exact capacity, I fill one reel the hard way putting the copper on first and then filling up with braid to just over 100% and then taking it off, transferring it to another spool with a drill and winding it back on braid first.  I use a clamp on line counter when the braid goes on so I have a reference for future reels.  This is not fun but I really dont like reels that arent full nor do I like running 286 feet of copper because I put too much backer on.

21 hours ago, 13owhunter said:

I run 32# copper on Daiwa 57Lc3bs which is pretty much the same size.  Like it was mentioned above, you can get over 200 yards of cheap 50# braid and 300 ft of 32# copper on there.  You can probably get close to 300 yards of backer if you went down to 40# and ran a thinner braid like power pro.

When I dont know the exact capacity, I fill one reel the hard way putting the copper on first and then filling up with braid to just over 100% and then taking it off, transferring it to another spool with a drill and winding it back on braid first.  I use a clamp on line counter when the braid goes on so I have a reference for future reels.  This is not fun but I really dont like reels that arent full nor do I like running 286 feet of copper because I put too much backer on.

X2

22 hours ago, Trolldeep said:

I used braid backer and got 300’ of copper on the 40’s

I Found a good reel calculator on line, it is an excel format. I used that reel filler for all my reels. The wire was off a little, reel was probably 90% full. All the copper and leadcore were really close to the calculation. I also have a South Chatham reel spooler with a digital counter. Worked out well for me.

Blood run copper

Berkeley big game mono

power pro braid

40’s
Backing Braid 50# 225 yards

50# Mono splice (for release) 5 yards

32# Copper 100 yards (300’)

50# Mono Leader 5 yards

Calculator said reel is 101% looking at it I would say it’s like 97% full.

50’s

Backing Braid 50# 250 yards

50# mono splice 5 yards

32# Copper 133.3 yards (400’)

50# Mono Leader 5 yards

Calculator said reel is 100.20% full. I’d say it’s 100%

With the south Chatham spooler, does it hold enough tension to get it spooled pretty tight?

On 4/17/2024 at 5:59 PM, BRsnow said:

With the south Chatham spooler, does it hold enough tension to get it spooled pretty tight?

It does pretty good. I hold a little more tension wearing a glove to hold it back. I also add a little more line then needed. Then I go out on the lake, let out 90 percent of the line with a tripped dipsy. Crank it back in and it’s nice and tight.