Posted (edited)

Hello all. 

I was out today on Cayuga and found what I think is a canal barge a couple miles north of Ithaca on the west side, about 50 FOW. Anyone know the history of it or any other info? I thought it was pretty cool. You can see the crossbeams and the one side looks smashed in. I don’t think it’s too visible in any of these but it also has some disturbed bottom around it.

Thanks!

IMG_7680.jpeg

IMG_7678.jpeg

IMG_7682.jpeg

Edited by codybuehler
  • Like 1

Check this site: https://sonarguy.com 

I know that a wreck exists near Aurora however its in 70 feet of water and would be miles away from the point your referencing. Very interesting sonar images, I was out today and was just a few miles south of Miliken Station. 

4 minutes ago, mmdrevo said:

Check this site: https://sonarguy.com 

I know that a wreck exists near Aurora however its in 70 feet of water and would be miles away from the point your referencing. Very interesting sonar images, I was out today and was just a few miles south of Miliken Station. 

I am actually already emailing him. 

I did find that one you mentioned on google. 

he did mention finding another barge down 410’ they are going to put the ROV to and check out better somewhere on the lake. 

I would be shocked if no one saw this one on their screen before me. It was very noticeable. Haha

Has anyone seen a small sailboat up around crowbar on the bottom? It’s only in 40-45FOW. Definite small sailboat. It has what looks like a small mast laying across it. I’ll see if I can find the picture I have of it. 

There was a small pod of rainbows right on it that we managed to pick a couple up out of today. So there’s that!

My opinion is that you found something that has not been documented before. I did search and could not find any other wrecks other than the one previously mentioned. Very interesting. 

6 minutes ago, mmdrevo said:

My opinion is that you found something that has not been documented before. I did search and could not find any other wrecks other than the one previously mentioned. Very interesting. 

Seems the Sonar Guy thinks so also. 

how can something that big go unnoticed? It isn’t little by any means.

Posted (edited)

The sonar guy got the location of it from me.  He said it hasn’t been documented anywhere that he knows of. They are going to 3D map it when they get back to the lake. Pretty cool stuff!

Edited by codybuehler
  • Like 1

If anyone is curious and has the down imaging or side imaging, just stay at 50’ of water between where Indian Creek is and the big willow trees on the west side. Regular fish finders it will just look like a blob on the bottom. 

my picture attached, the blue line is the creek, the orange X is he barge and the yellow circle I think is the willows. It’s straight in from of a house with a lot of timber landscaping in front of it. There’s 2 of the houses like that, one is too far north of it. 

IMG_7689.jpeg

Here’s the sailboat I found last year. I wasn’t smart enough to make a note of where it was, but up around Crowbar somewhere. This is only in 45’ of water or so. The detail Humminbird side and down imaging gives is amazing. IMG_3874.thumb.jpeg.327b51ce78b663e5306a39f225b89b51.jpeg

After reading this post and speaking to some locals the information that I was able to come up with are its an old log barge.   The wreck is known to some people and in conversation they knew it's exact location.   Back in the 1800 many Salt and log barges went down in Cayuga.  Many of them were not documented because of the time period.   When growing up on the lake there was a gentleman I knew that actually used to operate the ferry between kidder landing and Frontenac.   I only wish he was still alive so I could pick his brain.   He was an old salt.   

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 6:55 AM, Lily 2 said:

After reading this post and speaking to some locals the information that I was able to come up with are its an old log barge.   The wreck is known to some people and in conversation they knew it's exact location.   Back in the 1800 many Salt and log barges went down in Cayuga.  Many of them were not documented because of the time period.   When growing up on the lake there was a gentleman I knew that actually used to operate the ferry between kidder landing and Frontenac.   I only wish he was still alive so I could pick his brain.   He was an old salt.   

You must be old as heck because that was My great-grandfather He's been dead since like 1946

Edited by land locked

I'm not that old, The guy I spoke of was in his 80s when I was a child back in the early 80s.  He was friends with my grandfather and lived in the farm house across the street from the old kidders market that is now an event center.   Everyone called him Bunny

Spent my summers in the camp ground behind Kidders market.  My grandfather helped establish the camp ground with the Havlans.   In 1985 I would have been about 6.  Unfortunately I don't remember you but I do remember Bunny and maybe your grandmother.   My last name is Miner.  The docks down near the cottages had my grandfather's old boat hoist on it the remnants of his spot was there until the new owners re-did the dock