canandaigua derby pre fish

Since the derby is next weekend we figured we better do a little pre fish to see what was going on. For the most part it was a slow day but about 10:30 in front of vine valley the middle rigger down 65' starts ripping. A couple minutes later my brother in law lands a 14lb 2oz laker. Most years this fish would win the derby, so it's no surprise we catch him the week before!!!!! :no::@:no::@:no::(

530.jpg

We also tried a little pre derby fishing on Saturday. Fished the North end with little luck. Lost two fish on 10 colors with sutton 44s. Marked some bait right on bottom and a few fish. 70 to 200 feet of water. I seldom fish this lake. Is vine valley on the North or South ? Any advise on browns and rainbows. Better fishing for these on North or South?We'll be there early Sat morning on 68. 19 ft Starcraft Superfisherman with a Merc.

final flight..you have a pm

Vine Valley is just south of the condos on the east side of the lake. I have caught a few browns on the south end at the drop off, never had much luck with the bows. I have no clue if the north or south is better for them. We will be there all weekend fishing the southern half of the lake. Channel 68 red and white 225 sabre. Give us a shout.....aka "slim shaddy"

Good luck to all

hey mongo, that story of an 18lb, i hear that every year from someone about this lake, but no one can ever produce the fish. if you ever go into capt grays bait shop, some oldtimer will tell you about the 18lb laker just caught. They tried to show me a 14lb last year, that they had in the freezer, I told the guy that it was no more than 10, maybe 11 and that i had a digital scale in my boat, that pretty much ended the conversation! hey cheers, 10.5.

Hey cdgn, be careful with that! I had a guy want to fight me on the Summerville Pier last year when I told him his "38lb" Salmon was max 25lbs. After one digital scale said 24.5 and the other 26 he just walked away lol :D but big fish always look bigger when you have the adrenalin and first put them in the net.

ps, turp nice laker! what was the length on him?