VHF Antennas

CT3057

I have a question for anyone out there...... When I bought my boat(22' Bayliner Trophy Hardtop) it had the bases for VHF antennas mounted on both port and starboard side of the boat. There was only one 8 Ft antenna actually hooked up on the port side. I would like to know if I hook up a second antenna on the starboard side if it would make any difference. I am not really sure if it would even make a difference, just wondering. My other question is would a vhf antenna work for a AM/FM stereo or is that the reason they sell and make other antennas for AM/FM stereos. Thank You All

Clyde

Clyde,

Make sure its a VHF antenna you are hooking your VHF radio to, CB, SSB and Loran all came in 8' sizes. The antenna is by far the most important and most over looked part of the marine radio system. If the antenna is questionable, replace it with the best you can afford. Digital makes a nice 8' VHF and Shakspeare makes a nice heavy duty SS folding mount, both for a reasonable price.

Hooking the two antennas together is not a good idea.... Phase matched antenna systems work very well, but are directional.

AM/FM is 75ohm and the antenna is most likely a 59ohm, but for purposes of reception it should work fine. I have a Digital AM/FM 4' antenna on our hardtop and I'm not impressed with it. I'm thinking of going with a FM amplifier to help. Were in the fingerlakes and fishing between mountain top is a challenge for radio reception.

My 2 cents...

John

I thought most VHF were 50 ohm. Regardless, it's very important to match the impedence of the radio with the impedence of the antena. Word of caution: Don't key the radio without it being hooked up to the antenna.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thank You. I did replace the old one with a Shakespeare Mariner 8500 VHF Antenna. I was just wondering if hooking two up to the one radio would make any difference, but I see that it is not wise to do. I think I will just get a AM/FM antenna for my port side. Thank you two.