Seneca 6/20

Hit the water with my partner Bob a little before 6 this morning. Set up south of Lodi Point heading north running off the riggers and wire dipsy's. We stayed in shallow (30-60 FOW) hoping to attract some landlocks, browns and maybe a rainbow. Marked a lot of bait and what appeared to be fish in among them but nothing was happening. We decided to bump the speed up a bit and shortly after the fun began. My rigger fired first and we had a nice 16"-17" landlock. After returning that one it wasn't long before that same rigger fired again and we landed a 22" rainbow. By 7:00 we had landed several more landlocks for a total of 5 fish, all returned to fight another day. North of the Point we got a decent laker, don't recall the details and then the big trill of the morning .... a nice brown hit an old O&M lure of Bob's that put on quite a show. That fish made several runs and tangled up a few lines but was brought in with some great team work ..... great line clearing and net handling if I do say so myself!!! Great morning!!!! All fish came in shallow and aside from the O&M, most fish came on a Stinger "I don't know" (red and white with blue/red dots on the white)

Thanks guys ......

Ed, not sure how long I can keep that up ..... I agree they are tasty

William, on the speed ...... good advise from you, so THANKS!!!!. Action started just a bit north of where you saw us last Saturday.

That's great! :yes:

I have a couple friends that laugh at me when I tell them there is a website where fishermen share information. This site has totally changed my fishing game. I could pull lakers before with sawbelly's still-fishin but trolling I was lucky to have a 1 or 2 fish day. Now I think my best day was 19. It helps to be able to "watch" the fish move by reading others reports even if you can't make it out for a couple weeks. That way you aren't going out blind. I have also enjoyed trying other's methods that work for other people.

Some day I'll get up into those 20 and 30 fish days like Ray K & Jason!

I absolutely feel the same way. I was watching a different board when I was getting started a few years ago but as soon as I found this one it became the only one I look at. The guys on here are so helpful. Sure makes you want to give some of that back when you can.

we hit seneca on sunday with the new ride. First trip went well, first fish in the boat in about five minutees of the lines hitting the waterit was a laker 4lbs down 50 in 90fow. Lost a nice bow at the back of the boat after a nice fight with quite an aerial show.we went 4 for 7. we have great easrly mornings and then by mid morning it slows right down. any advice on what to try once it slows down. we have moved deeper, slowed downand up different colors, not sure of what else to do. May be some day i too will get up there with good number days.All in all the maiden voyage went well :yes: though i need some practice docking and loading the new boat :@ . Just a little different from my 16'.It will just take practice i guess.

I have difficulty with that later morning/midday bite myself. From people I've talked to it sounds like the fish like it slower as they are right on the bottom (non-feeding time) and not very aggresive but will hit if you put it in front of their face. The guys that pull copper are usually about 1.5-1.8 gps speed (feel free to jump in here Blueghost!) and let out their copper till they feel it hit bottom and pull up a couple feet to start jigging. As far as color...Whites and silvers work good early and then greens and coppers work well when the sun is up.

Last year I could go out any time of day and put a Mnt dew spin dr and green or glow fly down 5 ft off the bottom and pull fish all times of day...I'm not doing as well with this set-up this year.

Nice report Tangledline! I am glad to see landlocks and rainbows caught more in Seneca. The past 2 years have been a decline according to the DEC, but I am already seeing better brown and rainbow fishing in the lake this year, I hope it is coming back!

YEA those big browns(bulldogs) can cover more horzantal water than a king salmon sometimes. 2.6 to 2.7 mph will get the faster fish mooving but 2.4 will keep the lakers active .Kinda miss the summer bite on seneca but the fingerlakes fleas,jet ski's,and screaming (salmon)runs of lake ontario keep my intrest just a little north of them. as far as the dec creel survays(volenteer book) ive caught more landlocks in a day than they post for a season.just reading the post here gives you better ideas of real numbers from the few boats who post...multiply that by 200 regulars who dont post or do survays and you got a good fishery in our back yard... (for some 18 mi for me)...nice report!!!! P.S. Jason couldnt catch a fish in a barrel with a stick of dynamite if i dont tell him every move.

Justin...watch the classified selling thread of this forum...ocassionally there is a guy on there that sells them for $25

Ray...Yeah I gathered you taught Jason a thing or two about a thing or two...I could here you during the derby.."Go to the other channel!"

So what line do you run between your dipsey and Spinney?

I've had the Ontario bug myself...Got out Saturday with bretter out of hughes but we were 0/1...tough day of fishin.

BTW...throw me on the roster for that January freeze fishing!