Raymarine SportPilot X-5

Just got an e-mail from Raymarine. SAFETY RECALL on the Sport Drive & control head!!! Stop using product and return to dealer for replacement or refund. They have discovered a component failure with the mechanical clutch. I read all the talk on here about the old SportPilot woes and figured Raymarine would have fixed them with the new unit? After all, mine said Made In Hungary??? What a joke!

Raymarine 1

Organized Slime 0

I've used the thing once with the best fishing ahead THIS SUCKS!

I was lucky I guess. I went to order a Sport Pilot on Saturday and first looked at the Raymarine website again for specifications and saw that they were recalled. I got tired of waiting for a Simrad AP14r. I now ordered a Simrad 2401VRF. More money and a lot of features I'll probably never use but I can get it time for the best of the fishing season.

I've been following up with Raymarine and here is the update I received today. Not encouraging. My sport pilot os less than a month old....

Response (Chris Martin) 07/20/2009 02:52 PM

At this time, we do not have the parts to fix it so the pilot will need to come in and when we get the parts, get it back to you.

I just ordered a AP14R from Hodge's Marine, they sent me a stock update and have two ( now one) in stock as of 4PM today. We had a live person on the phone to verify stock, so I can assume a unit will be arriving on my porch by the end of next week. I too was just about to give up on the Simrad and get the X-5, but spoke with a number of vendors and they all said to wait and get the Simrad. These vendors sold Raymarine and Simrad so they had nothing to gain by recommending the Simrad other then a happy customer in the end.

I hope Raymarine gets their act together and makes things right ASAP...