J-plugs

I need to get a j-plug tutorial for using J-plugs from Sodus to Mexico Bay. I see Luhr-Jenson in 3 sizes, Silver Hordes in 2 sizes, and a Dream Weaver plug. What I would like advice on is maybe 10 different color/size combinations and the skinny on when to run them and how to rig them ( I'm not asking for much am I?)

All #4 all straight

Glow Ghost

Green Glow w/ Ladder

Silver bullet orange head

All with rattle

Leads can effect action

Run fast

generally use them for inshore fishing

Best Combat bait

Use J's & Lymans #3 lime glow is a killer on 200 & 300 copper when fish are staging!!

CC

CBish, thanks for the info-trying to get some of these plugs online and got a couple ?s; are the first 3 LJ colors or Lyman colors, also can't find a "lime glow" on the Lyman site, a lot of the plugs are numbered? I just don't want to get a bunch of the wrong stuff.

Andy:

Always TIE an 18 to 24 inch leader to the eye on the hook cord. NEVER connect a snap swivel to the eye on the hook cord. The plug can slide up and jam/break the swivel when fighting a fish.

Tim, if I am running a copper or a rigger spoon rod w/ a 20# fc leader aren't I better off tying direct to the leader (just by cutting off the swivel)?

You can do that, just don't use a snap swivel at the plug. Is your leader tied to the main line or do you connect with a small swivel? J-plugs don't seem to roll but put a laker on the end and they will spin and twist like a figure skater. They can bunge up a line all by themself.