Backing for wire Question

Use a small spro swivel that will fit through your guides. Attach the wire to the swivel first with a simple overhand knot, then using a couple small wire crimps. Cover that end with heat shrink tubing to keep it clean and so it doesn't hang up on the guides on the way out. Tie the braid to the other end of the swivel and your good to go!

I like to use backing on all my wire set-ups b/c the 1000' of wire only fills the spool on a 47LC or Sealine about half way. Consequently, the line counters aren't very accurate.

I put on about 100 yds. of Powerpro backing and tie it to the wire using an Albright knot and a dab of knot glue. I also put a small wire crimp on the tag end of the wire so it won't unravel.

Honestly, I've never got down to the backing on a fish run, but the backing seems to allow the wire to fill the reel a little better.

Good luck!

- Chris

I don't know about that momay, I have 3 SG47LCA's and 1000 feet of wire fill all 3 of them right to the top of the spool with no backing. Half way, that doesn't sound right?????? Are you using 20 lb or 30 lb?

Tim

Tim,

How do I know? I just bought two brand new Sealine 47LCA's and tried to fill the first one with 1000' of Torpedo 19 strand wire. It was about 1/4" or more below the level of the top of the spool so I tried to unwind all of the wire and then it knotted up so I shot $40 in the garbage b/c I couldn't re-use it. I put about 250 ft. or so of Powerpro backing and when I put on a second spool of 1000' of wire it filled the reel up almost to the level-wind above the spool line. Maybe I'm not supposed to have my reels so full?

Thanks - sorry if I was misleading,

- Chris

Hi Tim,

I think the 19 strand feels like a smaller diameter than the Malin or Mason stuff, but I believe it's the same diameter 0.015. I know the line capacity of a Sealine 47 is 480 yds/14#, and 15# test mono is about 0.015 diamter, so theorectically you could get about 1400 feet of wire on one of those reels.

However, now that I think about it, maybe I'm overfilling my reels? Are you supposed to fill your line right up to the top level of the gold spool, or can you keep going above the gold spool almost to the level of the level winder?

Thanks Tim for any advice you might have,

- Chris

Chris,

Personally, I wouldn't go above the lip/edge of the spool. Seems like that wouild be asking for trouble to me. One loose coil of wire gets between the spool and the reel body and gets wrapped up in there, and that reel is out of commision until take it apart and get that mess unwrapped.

Tim

Chris

I just spooled the 19 strand wire on some 47 reels with no problem. You have to keep a lot of tension on the wire while spooling or that wire will start having problems. I have nothing but tape for backing. All 1000 ft will fit. I read on the GLA web site(LOU is a far superior site for information) that if you contact Torpedo directly that they will take care of you. It will save you forty dollars!!!

Jay

Thanks gentlemen...

Tim - an interesting thing happened tonight - I looked closely at my wire reels and I would say the wire is about 1/4 " above the top of the gold spool. It's on very tight. We had a fish take a 400' run of wire and then my brother says "...uh oh, the reel is stuck..." Wouldn't you know it, the wire was jammed between the edge of the gold spool and the black casing on the reel. We were able to pull it out by hand (the wire frayed a tiny bit) and luckily land the fish. However, if it was a big king, forget about it.

Needless to say after the season I will remove my backing and just fill the spool with wire, even if it's below the level of the spool itself.

Thanks guys for your help and concern...

- Chris