Trolling Keuka

Never been down there, pretty much stick to the west branch. I took a drive last year to look at the launch in Hammondsport and didn't like the looks of it. It would be a long boat ride from Branchport and it's hard to pass up all the fishing between Branchport and Hammondsport. Occasionally I make it to the bluff and troll back north. How about you?

Yes, I have made the run down from Penn Yan a few times. Will try again one of the Sept mornings. I usually head to the Bluff and troll North towards you. Starting points vary, sometimes just South of Lakeside, others over by the Power Station or right off the point. All depends on currents, wind and weeds. (sounds like a country western song..."current, wind and weeds"..)

Fished out of Hammondsport this morning, rain and all. We caught a few, largest was a 7lb Laker.... Caught in 109' of water, 80' down on a bare NBK at 5:45AM. Tried different colors and depths but couldn't get any takers after 6AM. The grass was a big problem last weekend down here, but this morning was fine. Oh...we did manage to catch 200' of copper line on one of the weights, so that almost paid for the fuel. It was just my son and I out this morning, so we enjoyed the peace and quite, and caught up on things since he's been away working at camp all summer.

This is our first fishing report, since sorting the boat out and getting on the water last weekend. We live in Hammondsport. Hope to venture over to Seneca in the next week or two.

John

81533687.jpg

26453092.jpg

Yes i do launch from there and it isn't the greatest but close for me. There is no dock, there is a couple of post to tie off on, as far as parking its pretty tight right next to the launch and some of the lake people get a little mad :@ if you park there, your best bet is to go up the road about 100 yard and park at the old powerhouse plant.

We launch at the Town Ramp which you need a swipe card to enter. I personally think it's good ramp, I live 2 minutes from it. The Hotel ( next to the town ramp) has a ramp that you may be referring to, allot of people use it because other then the town ramp, it's the only one.

Has anyone used fly's or squids behind dodgers or flashers on Keuka this time of year? We would like to catch the LL here and were thinking of different ideas of boating one.

You need to be a town resident for the town ramp, but the hotel ramp is open to the public for a fee. Not sure on $$$

What SD and fly combo do you use? Photo?

My son and I are Seth Green guys and are getting used to downrigger fishing now that we have a larger boat. The boat came loaded, ready to fish Ontario, but we want to work our way up to that by sorting it out on our pond, then move over to Seneca then up to Ontario. So any help getting fish in the boat would always be appreciated. We have fly's and squids, with a ton of dodgers and flashers, but no Spin Doctors, but most of the gear is for Ontario (large).

I worked on charter boats when I was younger on the Jersey shore, and always loved hauling a big one over the rail. Its nice to start doing that again with my son.

Mountain Dew SD with a big weenie fly. The green hammer fly from big weenie is a steady producer for me. Blue dolphin, green dolphin, toxic shock fly from big weenie. I will snap some pictures for you. Also if you do a search for posts by Jason he will have a lot of info for you. He does a number on fish with SD and big weenie flies. Others have had luck with A-tom-mik flies, I'm just starting with the SD/fly program.

I have had no luck with my Seth Green rig this year. Normally I can guarantee fish always on the bottom leader but that rig has been nothing to write home about.