Help us keep fish on the wire

We get the hit and by the time(within seconds) we get the rod...fish gone.

Over the last 2 months of running it we; started without a snubber and took hits but could never hook them. We added a snubber and the rod hasn't taken a hit for the last month. This mourning we removed the snubber and bang it took a hit but no fish.

We have the drag loose/tight enough so every once in ahwile it will click

Please help! This problem is usually why the wire setup's stay in the berth

Super, super sharp hooks. Sharp hooks will increase your hook up rate substantially. Did I mention sharp hooks? No hooks come out of the package sharp enough to fish. Don't listen to any sales pitch or advertisement, thay all need sharpening. I fish a buddies boat with his equipment and he doesn't sharpen hooks. His hit to hook-up ratio is around 50%. I sharpen every hook and when we fish my boat, the ratio is close to, and often is 100%.

It also doesn't hurt to let the fish pound away on the dipsey rod for 5-10 seconds before grabbing the rod. This will let them bury the hooks deep before grabbing the rod. Many folks give slack when pulling a dipsie rod from the holder and this gives the fish a big break for escape.

We keep the drag loose, but add a downrigger release clip attached to the hook holder on the rod and clamped onto the line as it comes off the reel. Other people use a simple rubber band to keep the reel from clicking out. This prevents quick breakoffs on the hit, as wire's got no stretch at all. Like Ray said, keep the Dipsey just short of releasing...otherwise, it's the same as setting the drag too tight and the fish can shake off fighting the Dispey. As for snubbers, we use the clear braided snubbers and haven't noticed an issue. I can't imaging not using a snubber, with the force of some of the rips we take...

Gator

I've been using rubber bands half hitched on my wire to my 47 handles but just made up some clips made up of the black offshore releases that I took off my little boards going to try them this weekend, I get sick of the rubber bands and they make a mess of my boat, I always start high then drop them down and get sick of resetting the rubber bands the release clips will be much more convenient, I tied some heavy mono to them and going to attach it to my rod holders.

I like my divers nice and loose and I use the dreamweaver snubbers they are on the stiff side but think that's a good thing for salmon, I also land 95% of my diver fish, hooks are always razor sharp, although most of my salmon tackle is pretty new after a fish or two I sharpen them with the luhr jenson hook sharpener with the yellow handle, the musky guys swear by this sharpener and I agree it's awesome been using it for years on my walleye gear.