Best Smallmouth fishing

MyKey

Took a break from salmoniod trolling Cayuga to do some SMALLIE fishing with my brother on the Susquehanna. We used Kyaks and crankbaits. Together we we had about 35 hits and landed about 30. Many were 4lbs plus! Not that I am a bass fisherman but have put some time in....the river is hard to beat this time of year. I have bassed fished on Cayuga all summer but caught more fish in one day on the river than a season on cayuga. The one thing that is beat is me. Its hard to cast n crank that much after being a troller all summer long. We ran into a couple of guys and they had the same experience last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the same trip again yesterday afternoon. Fish were not as willing but we still boated about 12 between us. Most of the fish were big. If we took our best 5 fish we would have been well over 20lbs! Used Ultra-lite gear this time so the extra effort helped to keep warm as it started raining around 3, then I slipped into the water retrieving my lucky rattle-trap that broke off. River is low but sounds like this week coming will bring it up some. Plan to fish again if we get some warm days that are too hot for Bow season.

BP, the holes/deeper water is what holds the fish but getting there is the issue. We scrapped bottom in our Kayak's crossing a couple of the shallow areas so at present water it would not be good. The launch area is called stillwater, off route 11 in kirkwood. Look for Stan's Welding and they have a boat launch with a self pay $2 fee. We do not fish that area but its big enough to water ski in. I hear you can get into some eye's on the south end of the deep water but never tried yet.