kicker advice wanted

some HP restricted lakes will allow you to take the prop off the big motor and still be in compliance - which would be the only reason I would consider the 9.9, otherwise if you have no intention of going to one, for muskie you're looking for a 15 (20 wouldn't be too much if you find a good deal) to get up into the higher speeds (above 5, even to 10) without revving up/straining the motor, loosing fuel efficiency and wanting earplugs.

If I remember, your big motor is 2 stroke merc, no premix, so as long as you go 4-stroke (good idea :yes: ) or otherwise don't need premix, then you can plumb it right into the fuel system (tee).

I don't use a kicker, but power tilt seems to be one feature that those who don't have it kick themselves over

I'm sure others will chime it, and welcome to the trolling club.

NM

I also have an 18ft aluminum V hull and a 9.9hp Johnson Kicker (special thanks to Empty Hook). It is very economical and really not that loud at wot. However max speed is 5-6mph and there are those that have sucess at speeds up to 10-12mph. So if you want to have the ability to speed troll I would take Nitro's advice and go bigger. I use 2 6gal tanks 1 for each motor. We joined the trolling club because there are times when trollers do much better than casters, next season we will be in the 50-50 club and let the fish tell us wich method to stick with! Good Luck.

Your better off with a Honda 15 hp 4-Stroke,you can troll fast and the weight is the same as the 9.9 hp,just ported bigger.

The 15 hp Honda pushes my Tracker Targa 2000 fiberglass boat to 14 mph.At speeds of 4.5 mph and under your only using 1/3 of trottle and its very quiet.My Honda 15 hp has 15 years of hard trolling,doesn't miss a beat!

Capt. Larry