Question

Brian

How far up will a walleye come to hit a trolled bait? I am having no trouble catching walleyes trolling reef runners, but I know they are running in the 26-28 foot range. The screen as shown is loaded with bottom holding fish throughout the entire basin.What I am not showing are any suspended fish. Are they shying from the boat or rising up? To find out I went back and jigged a large spoon in at 28 feet to see if I could raise them. The 2nd screen shows that they will rise a few feet but no more. If I lower a spoon with a gulp minnow down to them they smoke it. Will they follow a trolled bait and rise slowly or am I just not seeing the suspended fish? Any input would be appreciated.

1CC1dA.jpg

cJVFi.jpg

I agree, I know for a fact I have caught fish I marked 20-30 ft below where my my baits are running in the deeper water off Erie. I'll mark monster hooks in the 55-65 ft range and run all my baits in the 25-35 ft range and catch 20-30 fish throughout the day and not mark one of them that high. I'll troll with an electric motor so I know I'm not spooking them either. The bigger fish do seem to be lazier and I'll have to put baits down further to get those fish to go. This is a summer pattern in extremely clear water hen the water is warm when they are aggressive...in the fall or spring you have to hit them in the nose