Copper / Leadcore ?'s - Beating the dead horse

We'll I've done some extensive searching in the archieves and still have some ?'s.

I'm going to buy two set-ups to run off my big boards and I can't decide on copper or lead. I have a current non level-wind/ no line counter the I run streight out the back that really produces.

Is copper and lead equally as good against the fleas?

Is there anyway to clip the copper/leadcore to the big boards or must I go to the monobacking?

80% of my fishing is on the finger lakes and the other 20% is on lake O. Would two 400' copper rigs fill my general needs? If so, would adequate backing and copper fit the accudepth 57?

Thanks, Lavarock

To attach copper or leadcore to planner boards you should use a rubber band. Hook your release to the planner line,then loop the rubber band on the copper or lead and place the other end of rubber band on the release as you would mono.

When the fish hits it will break the rubber band.

Shade

Copper does not get any fleas (on the copper itself). I use power pro backing and put a 6' section of 50lb. mono between the copper and the backing. You would not get much copper at all on a Diawa 57. Look into the Penns (340 or 345). Look for a used one that has never been used in salt.

No fleas on Copper or Lead use power pro for backing. If most of your time is on the Fingers I would go with 200' and a 400' copper, and a 4, 8, 10, 12, color lead core. Some days the lead is hot and some days the copper is hot. All of them above you can run on inline or big boards. Sean

Great info.!

I think I'll invest in a copper rig and spend this year comparing it to the 10 core I already have.

Could I rig up 200' sections of copper on swivels and add them together to achieve greater depths as the season progressed? What is the best swivel to quickly link 2 sections?

Lavarock