Will NY Have To Shut Down The Erie Canal?

tbulhead

I don"t hold out much hope for Lake Erie and Lake Ontario to remain Asian Carp free. The inaction or inability to disconnect the Mississippi River from the Great Lakes may eventually mirror similar decisions faced by New York State. When the Asian Carp enter Lake Erie several lakes (including Finger Lakes, Oneida Lake, and the Hudson River) will eventually become infested with Asian Carp. Now you will have communities that have invested heavily in tourism along the canal that may want to do battle with the lake communities that do not want the Asian Carp in their waters. Is now the time to start talking to the DEC to have a contingency plans for the Asian Carp to keep them out of the canal system? They could fundamentally change the fisheries in New York State. Will it mean just shutting down parts of the canal system? Or does it mean New York State will be paralyzed with inaction and the Asian Carp spread throughout the state. I think the dialogue should start sooner rather than later because I believe the carp are coming sooner. I hope I am wrong.

NY definitely needs to start thinking about a plan to keep them out of all our waters. DEC supplied the rotenone for the posioning of the sanitary canal & used it on that lake downstate that had snakeshead in it. As Tim suggested, the Welland and the Niagara would be good ambush areas.

Tom B.

(LongLine)