Haywire Twist

Does the haywire twist ever wear out? Last summer an albright knot gave out and I was out 400' of copper. What are some thoughts between using the haywire twist vs albright knot to connect leader to copper or copper to mono backing? Thanks :beer:

I use a small spro swivel on both ends of my copper to connect my backing and my leader and have never had any problems. I do use the haywire twist to connect the copper to the spro swivel. Fishdoctor Charters website has a short video on how to use this method.

Brian

Mono backing is fine on anything less then 300ft as you will have a tough time getting enough backing on your reel. The haywire twist is only used to connect copper to copper or copper to spro swivel. Figure out what works for you and stick to it just check all your connections OFTEN and you should be fine.

Raider,

These guys are correct - don't use the haywire to form a loop to connect your mono leader or backing without a swivel. The wire will cut the mono or backing eventually, that's why I agree that you should use an in-line swivel. My copper rigs go like this:

50# PP backing - trilene knot - inline swivel - Haywire twist - copper - haywire twist - inline swivel - trilene knot - leader

Basically the Haywire twist is always tied to the ends of a swivel and the trilene knot used for the leader and backing to connect to the other ends of the inline swivels. I believe the pre-rigged A-Tom-Mik copper set-ups (backing, copper and leader) come pre-rigged with the swivels using the same techniques (they may use a different knot other than the Trilene knot, however)

Good luck,

- Chris

Another hint is to coat the haywire twist with a light coating of 5 minute epoxy. Don't coat the swivel (duh). The epoxy coating will aid the twist in passsing through the rod guides without bunching up.

Lou

A tip that I got from Matt Santoro (Team Hotrods) is to use a little automotive silicon sealer while wrapping the very last part of the haywire twist. It keeps the ends from bunching up going thru the guides.

Al