kayak bass fishing irondequoit bay

jkarol24

Before the next Genesee Charter Club meeting in early april i was thinking about sliping the kayak in and going for a few hours of bass fishing the docks and/or stumps on the west side of the bay. Will the bass be there pre spawn yet or should i wait until may? Also, what kind of lures are used down there and would i be fishing for large or smallmouth bass? Anyone familiar with the area?

Sounds like fun, but too damn cold for me to go in my kayak... (mine is a sit on top and I get a little wet)

Be sure you are confident in your yak that you won't fall in. That cold water can be pretty dangerous.

Too early for pre-spawn. I have caught LMB there before. I hear there are some smallies as well.

With the cold water, the bass will be lethargic and you will have to fish slow...

Let us know how you do!

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Yo guys, throw a tube bait with a bullet head sinker pegged about 18 in above it. Walk it real slow over different cover and be sure to feel for a very subtle tap, then set the hook hard. Also Husky jerks worked slow will do the trick. Remember to go with subdued colors. Been hammering smallies and pike with this technique.