Advice on downrigger fishing on Cdga Lake

I have a 14 foot Lund that I take out on Canandaigua Lake. I typically fish for perch and smallies on the northern half of the lake. I want to try downrigging this year and was looking at the small manual ones like the Walker Downriggers Mini Laker Manual Downrigger. That way I don't have to have it permanently attached, but it will get me deep on the few occaissions I want to go Laker or Rainbow fishing. I have a lot to learn so I'll be reading this forum often. If anyone has any general advice on how to start I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been reading a bunch of past posts and some of it sounds chinese to me, like Mt. Dews and Spin Doctors and Hammer Flys. Where would I get these?

Steve

Get and read this, it's a good overview of all the techniques you will encounter trying to figure out what we are talking about http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Salmo ... 620&sr=8-1

I don't really need my copy anymore so if you want to borrow it, I'm sure we could arrange it.

Here is a site that carries a bunch of the stuff we use to troll for trout and salmon http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/misc.htm

My suggestion to to you would be to look over some of this stuff, and then go back thru this forum reading posts. After you have a sense of what's going on I would suggest that you get a ride w/ somebody here (we are always looking for fishing partners for a one day or another) and see some of these techniques and gear at work. After that you would have a pretty good idea of what's going to work for you. I could tell you that one good idea would be to consider getting set up with 1 downrigger and one dipsy rod setup and get a couple inline boards for spring and or copper/core to the side but this is not going to mean much to you at this point. Do some reading & some surfing and when you feel like you have some specific questions, fire away. We'll be glad to help in any way we can. :yes: -Andy

P.S. Watch out, this kind of fishing is infective and you might just get sucked in farther than you could imagine!

I would really consider getting a copper rig or 2 vs. the downrigger.

When I struggle with other trolling gear, they always seem to produce.

They are very simple and you can get pre-rigged set-ups from Atomik-just add pole and spoon or flasher/ fly and you are in business at what ever depth you choose.

Good Luck

Best bet is to get out with someone and learn hands on. I learned more on a 4 hour charter than I learned in about 3 months trying to learn by myself. I should have my new to me boat in a couple of weeks. I'd be happy to take you out on Seneca or preferably Cayuga. Shoot me an e-mail or PM in a couple of weeks if you are interested.

Wayne

[email protected]