Help needed with NMEA wiring

Misty IV

I broke down over the winter and bought a new Raymarine fishfinder. It's the DS500X and I found it online as a closeout special. For the price and the features it offers, it is perfect for my needs.

My question pertains to the NMEA wiring. I have a Raymarine RayChart 425 GPS/Chartplotter already, and that unit has the NMEA harness coming out of it with the white, green, gray, yellow & brown wires. I have never utilized the NMEA features before. The new DS500X has the same type harness and is capable of displaying GPS coordinates, etc. on the screen. Is hooking up the NMEA system as simple as splicing the colored wires from the GPS/Chartplotter to the wires in the DS500X's harness? Or is there an interface box which all the wires tie into I need to purchase? Thanks for any and all assistance.

Hi, I think the wires you are talking about are NMEA 0183, you could probably hook them together and they would work. A better option would be if your unit has the NMEA 2000 port on the back you just come off with a drop cable from each device to NEMA T connectors, then as you add more stuff to your boat autopilot, radar ex you just add more T connectors together and more drop cables and it will all work together and share info. I have my motors and all run threw NMEA 2000. If you need good info and parts for seting it all up shoot me a PM I got a guy you can call that will help you spend your money. :lol: Sean

Sean,

Thanks for the reply. I am guessing I have the 0183 versions, as I do not have the 2000 port on the rear of either unit. Wishing I did, after seeing what you can do with connecting everything together that easily. I will try connecting all the wires together and see what happens. Thanks again for the help. I'll post back what I find out.

Tag,

I don't have it hooked up to my FF, but I do have my GPS hooked up to both my autopilot and my DSC Radio using the NMEA 0183 wires. you just have to look at the wiring diagrams in the owners manuals for both units and see which color wires are which, and make sure you have the NMEA out wire from the GPS going to the NMEA in wire on the FF (simple direct splice).

I'm going from a Garmin 172C (which has 2 NMEA Out wires) to both the Simrad AP and a Standard Horizon Radio. IIRC, you usually have to connect the black wires to ground as well.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for that info. Didn't think about the in/out thing at all. Was just going to connect yellow to yellow, brown to brown, etc., but will definitely research both units' wiring schematics now.

I have both manuals here in front of me. So, essentially, the GPS's NMEA output (+) and (-) needs to go to the fishfinder's NMEA input (+) and (-), while the GPS's NMEA inputs need to be connected to the fishfinder's NMEA outputs, correct?

Remember they only put so much smoke in that eletronic stuff. So you don't want to let any out :lol:

Exactly!!! I don't want to burn-up $1500 worth of electronics. That's why I am asking. :D

When I installed a NMEA2000 buss system in my boat for the autopilot it was important to get the power supplies correct. Some devices, such as your GPS puck, will now receive its power from the buss. I'm not sure how the NMEA 0183 system handles the power supplies. On my Lowrance units I just disconnected the GPS power wires and taped them. It's unfortunate that when these systems were designed a standard plug would be used by all manufacturers. It would make connecting devices much simpler.

High Bidder

I have both manuals here in front of me. So, essentially, the GPS's NMEA output (+) and (-) needs to go to the fishfinder's NMEA input (+) and (-), while the GPS's NMEA inputs need to be connected to the fishfinder's NMEA outputs, correct?

Not sure on the second half of that Tag. The GPS Out to the FF In will get you the GPS info on your graph like you are looking for, but I don't know what data the FF could supply to the GPS requiring the reverse connection.

I don't think it'll hurt anything, just not sure it's necessary.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I was kinda thinking the same thing with the FF supplying info to the GPS having no purpose. May hook it up just to see if I get anything. But, the first part is definitely what I need to do to make the GPS things display on the FF's screen. Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...