Downrigger Connection

Boatino

I recently purchased new Big Jon's and there is no plug in the cable like Cannon's. It's only has a direct connect to the battery. Can anyone recommend a in-line plug so I can easily remove the riggers from the boat? It needs to be able to support 28 amps and 10 gage wire.

Thanks,

John

It needs to be able to support 28 amps and 10 gage wire.

John

Wow,.....those BJ's really blow ..............some fuses at 28 amps!1.gif

. .... ..... .... .... 2.gif

One way to get 6, 8 or 10 gauge wire without spending a fortune is to use jumper cables. Look around at the auto parts stores and get a good set with stranded copper wire. The nice part about using them is that the wire is flexible . Just use the appropriate ends to terminate.

I used a 8 gauge jumper cable to run power from my battery switch to a power distribution panel that I added to the starboard side of the boat to power my riggers, kicker and other electrical needs on that side. Works great. From there I used goingagain2's tip to the riggers.

I use 20A 240V 1ph duplex recepticles, one on each side of the transom, tucked just under the combing to run 4 downriggers. They have waterproof boxes and covers. The 90 degree blade and ground help keep from reversing polarity. The 10ga wiring runs to a fused distribution panel located in the center of the transom. The main feed line to the battery is 6ga and only 4' long.

You can also get electric trolling motor disconnects. They are rated in the range you are looking at.

John

I have Marinco outlets on the left and right side for my downriggers. My G3 boat came with the outlets already installed, and it was very easy to connect the Marinco plugs to the end of the BigJohn electrics. I think this is the same outlet and plug system used on bowmounted trolling motors for Bassboats. The plugs turn and lock in the outlets. Makes the downriggers easy to connect and disconnect, yet they are secure and safe while under way. Works for me anyway.

Boatino,

On my older BJ's I used 10 gauge marine grade duplex wire (one red/one black wire in a grey sleeve) and I wired a female extension cord plug (non-grounded or polarized - only two prong plug) to one end. I crimped and soldered two battery connectors to the other end of the wire and attached it to my battery switch.

I then plugged the male end of the BJ wire into the female plug connector and it worked great.

Make sure you mark each side of your male/female plug with a black line so you hook it up the same way each time b/c the BJ motor is polarized. Otherwise, when you go to let the ball down, it'll go up and vice versa. I lost a cannon ball one year b/c I had it hooked up backwards and when I went to let the ball down, it went up and snapped the terminal connector.

Keep it cheap and simple and good luck,

- Chris