Wopper Plopper

it has the tail of an old mudpuppy from the looks of it. it is made from alumilite products and they sell a kit at dan crafts and things except for the microballons which make it float and u have to order them from the company. legend baits (plows and perchbaits) are resin as are a few others (alley cats). i have some stuff at home and have made a silicone mold of a tuff shad and am doing a perchbait when i have time. neat stuff, if your gonna do this you might as well start pouring plastisol also. on the ohio fishing website, guys have been using these products since late 2008. tigger is the most famous on that site and kicks out amazing lures. what you can so is make a wood body and make a mold of it and pour baits in 25% of the time it takes to make one wood body. the alumnilite is not cheap after u get all the stuff though. best luck and i have seen not only the whopper plopper video but there are a few others on their website.

Yes Nitro it does make me want to concentrate a little harder on my topwater baits. I take special note in the retrive as I have been using a rip and pause retrive as opossed to the slow steady one they were using.

Thanks for the info Zach. Are you happy with any of your molds? Have you made a bait you find worthy?

I will have to look into the craft store thing. I know the prices I have seen are high. However I think it could be worth it if I can get the process down.

on the molds i have learned as i went. i have made a one piece mold out of wood and red high temp rtv silicone. i have also made a 2piece mold w/ a split pvc tube and it was tough for me to get that to line up perfect. what sucks is you have to destroy a bait if you dont carve one yourself. i mean u have to pull the lip out of say a tuff shad to get a real mold that u can then add a lip to. i ran outta resin before i really got the hang of it but will get more when my responsibilites as a father lessen. for me on prop baits, when it lands i rip it once or twice pretty hard and then reel pretty steady all the way back with maybe one or two speed ups of the reel not the rod to make it sputter more. good luck on that, my biggest came on chaut opening day like 5 years ago at 2:30am on a topraider (i have wrote about that in the past) and i was half sh*t faced. i have a bunch of baits i have made this winter but am not too sure if i am gonna post pics as i am somewhat self concious of them and dont want any thing negative to affect my new found hobbey but have made a few that seem very worthy to throw. the finishes on them seem tougher than just about any lure i have bought. i tell lex i just want to catch one decent musky on a lure i made. i have always tied flies for flyfishing, made bass jigs, put together fishing rods, tied alot of bucktails and do most of my own archery stuff so i find it only natural to try making musky lures. i got bit by the musky bug when i was 13 (now an ole man at 30) and fished chaut at least 2-3 weekends a month growing up w/ my dad and have made multiple trips to the french river (his pb 52.5"), nippising and one to lac seul. i stopped musky fishing for about 4 years and am now back into it when its not hunting season. so maybe that explains alittle about me and why i do it the hard way some times.

I remember the story. Its still a dream for me. There just isnt enough time. Then when work is slow there isnt enough money. :@ I will not give up though. We are getting better and I believe we will have a better season than last. I have learned a lot from all you guys :yes: Now the obsession just keeps growing so we have to be better and we have to make the time cause life is just to short. Ole man at 30?: :lol: I'll be 40 this year and they just keep going by faster. :no: Anyway thanks for youir insight. I will probably not start making anything till next winter but maybe we can share some ideas. 8)